vista internet connection problem

rsturbo 16:54 09 Jan 09

vista desktop machine will not connect to internet via ethernet cable (checked cable).
works on wifi fine. other vista pc's work on this router (BT).
have vista laptop will not connect via wifi (checked on other wifi and works) but will via ethernet on same router.

both computers have been reinstalled to check for any problems.

please help its driving me mad!

skidzy 17:16 09 Jan 09

" vista desktop machine will not connect to internet via ethernet cable "

Check device manager for the controller driver is installed ?

" have vista laptop will not connect via wifi "

Again check device manager to see if the wireless card driver is installed ?

Does device manager show any yellow exclaimation marks ?

Pineman100 17:45 09 Jan 09

" have vista laptop will not connect via wifi "

Is the computer's wi-fi switch switched on?

Sorry if that seems ridiculously obvious, but it can happen...!

rsturbo 19:14 10 Jan 09

wifi switched on,

rsturbo 12:50 24 Jan 09

this is driving me mad!!

thanks for any suggestions

birdface 12:55 24 Jan 09

If connecting from a modem switch the modem off at the switch leave for 10 seconds and turn on again and see if that does it.

rsturbo 22:21 10 Feb 09

but still getting no connection with vista computers, xp ok.

any more ideas??

harps1h 23:55 10 Feb 09

is the nic software version compatible with vista?
when i ibntalled vista i couldn't connect to tne internet and it turned out to be the nic was a version 1.0 and i needed a version 2.0 nic. so bought a new one and on in 20 secs

rsturbo 23:40 13 Feb 09

checked and also they have worked before, this is confusing me!

rsturbo 23:22 20 Feb 09

??

Pineman100 18:28 21 Feb 09

Your Vista laptop will connect via ethernet but not wifi. This suggests that the problem lies between the computer and the router.

Can the laptop "see" the wireless network? In other words, when you click Start>Connect To, is your wireless network listed as an available network?

If so, what happens when you try to connect? I presume your network is encrypted... are you sure that you're entering the correct encryption key?

If you're certain that all that is OK, have you checked to see whether MAC filtering is enabled on the router? If it is, then is your laptop's MAC address properly entered as a permitted one?

As regards the Vista desktop, have you tried updating your NIC's driver to the latest version? Alternatively, I would try harps1h's solution - a new NIC is very cheap.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…