Vista install disks ?

My girlfriend just bought a new Zoostorm PC and it comes with Vista preinstalled.

There are no Windows disks provided and no means offered to burn your own.

She contacted tech support at Pcnextday where she purchased the PC and they explained that Vista creates a partition and if she needs to reinstall she can do it from there and if that fails then the PC has to go back to them to have it reinstalled.

If its the way its supposed to be then it seems very unsatisfactory. No way to do a comnplete reformat of your own machine without sending it back to the manufacturers. I have lost count of the reformats and reinstalls I have done over the years.

No way to install Vista on a new machine in the future except to buy another copy of an OS you already own !

Is this how its done now or are they being unreasonable ?

Thanks.

ventanas 11:08 16 Aug 07

This is becoming frequently the norm. Really someone should have checked to see what was being suppled before purchase. if there is a partition with the install files on it that should be ok for as long as the hard disc survives. Instructions should have been supplied as to how to use it.

As regards your second point. You do not own the OS. What you pay for is a licence to use it for as long as you remain within the terms of that licence. If you try to install on another machine you break those terms. So your suppliers are not being unreasonable, and if the hdd does go down you will have to spend serious money to buy a full retail version of Vista if you want to reinstall.

Thanks for the reply.

Well I guess we are stuck with it as it stands then.

It seems wrong to me that the user has this reliance on the supplier that extends into the future. Its not exactly unheard of for PC suppliers to cease trading and then one would be stuck.

I probably wasnt clear on the 2nd point, I understand that the licence is single machine only but is that also limited to the actual machine its supplied with ?

If thats the case then again I think its far too restrictive. I understand Microsofts need to protect its intellectual property but having to buy an OS licence over and over again doesnt seem right however you look at it.

ventanas 14:14 16 Aug 07

It will obviously be OEM, and yes, it's restricted to the machine it was supplied with.

There is nothing wrong really with the way these licences are distributed. It has always been this way. The cost is considerably less than a retail version. But Microsft have very strict rules as to who actually can distribute them. And even then there are different levels depending on who the vendor is.

hssutton 14:45 16 Aug 07

"and if the hdd does go down you will have to spend serious money to buy a full retail version of Vista if you want to reinstall."

I recently renewed all components other than the hard drive. Microsoft re-activated my OEM version of Vista Ultimate. They did however ask several questions before agreeing activation.

ventanas 14:47 16 Aug 07

If the hard drive goes down there will be installation files to use and activate. That is where they are. You replaced everything except this item, so were able to reinstall.

If you can't access the installation files, you cannot reinstall Windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…