Vista Install

Genius1 18:39 10 Jun 06

When attempting to install Vista Beta 2 from the DVD I created from the download, I get the message 'The file 'autorun.dll' could not be loaded or is corrupt. Setup cannot continue. Error code is [0x3E7]'. I used CyberLink to transfer the download to DVD. I got the installation screen the first try but cancelled because I wasn't ready to install. Subsequent tries prove fruitless! Any thoughts?

Also, what is the best way to install Vista? I have managed to browse the DVD contents and open the Readme. In the Readme, it says to look in the 'Docs' folder for installation information. I can only see two XML documents in this folder.

Would you recommend paritioning the hard drive, doing a complete reinstall etc.??

Thanks.

mattyc_92 20:11 10 Jun 06

1. Have you still got the iso image? Try burning it again at a lower speed or the disc is dirty

2. I had to format (I have backed up WinXP with acronis, so I can restore later) as I kept receiving an error near the end of the installation all the time

Genius1 20:14 10 Jun 06

Thanks - yes, I've kept the ISO image. I will try burning it again at a lower speed. I don't expect the disc is dirt, as it's just come out of the packet!

So you completley formatted your hard drive? How did you do this? Thanks in advance...

mgmcc 08:37 11 Jun 06

My hard drive had two partitions, one with Windows XP and the other with backups (Ghost and Acronis). I backed up my "C" drive with Ghost and Acronis to an external hard drive and then used XP's Disk Management to remove the second partition on the drive. I booted with the Vista DVD (burned from the ISO) and installed into the "Unallocated" space on the drive.

You could boot with a Windows 98 "boot floppy" and use FDISK to remove the existing partition(s) on the drive, so you have a RAW unpartitioned drive. Boot with the Vista DVD and let it do the partitioning, formatting and installing. If the drive is larger than 64GB, use FDISK 1.2.1 instead from click here I assume you are aware that THIS WILL CAUSE THE LOSS OF ALL DATA ON THE HARD DRIVE.

mattyc_92 09:19 11 Jun 06

I used "KillDisk" (click here) as when I tried what mgmcc said, I kept recieving an error about it "can't boot into the next stage" (the first reboot).
When I formatted, the error message disappeared

NOTE: Backup your data before formatting your Drive. I also suggest you to backup your data before you install Vista, as it is a BETA, so there may be some problems

Genius1 17:39 11 Jun 06

Thanks mgmcc and mattyc_92, I will be trying some of these suggestions.

mattyc_92 19:18 11 Jun 06

I have now got XP on the same drive......

I done abit of "tinkering" with the partition table. It seemed that my partition table was damaged, so I guess this was what stoped vista from installing the first time

Josho™ 10:04 12 Jun 06

I am having the same problem, maybe it's DVD+RW, or the 32 bit?

Genius1 17:42 13 Jun 06

I was using a DVD-RW, but I may try just a -R DVD. I haven't tried burning at a lower speed yet, but I will do so soon...

Genius1 11:57 15 Jun 06

I am currently burning the ISO file again onto the same disk just to see if anything's changed. The option to burn at a lower speed is not there - there's only the 'Maximum Speed' option.

If this doesn't work, I'll try a different disk, followed by downloading the file again (maybe there's something wrong with my downloaded file?).

Genius1 12:32 15 Jun 06

I think the ISO file may be corrupt. I'm currently downloading Beta 2 again, so I'll post back with the outcome in about 4 hours!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…