Vista, IE8 and double tabs opening slowwwlllyy....

compumac 22:28 11 Dec 10

Neighbour had a lot of trouble with PC getting slower and slower. Have resolved those problems and others, but two problems remain (and I am going to bed now) - Windows Vista - when opening home page on Internet Explorer, it actually opens two tabs, one of which takes some considerabe time to load as a music/video is included in that tab. Not quite sure as to how they managed this, but how do we get IE to open with just their home page. They also have AVG 9 which does not load,update scan or anything else - it just sits there looking at you. It needs to come off and reinstall alternatively install something else in its place. I have my own thoughts on the replacement, but would ask as it is A N Others PC it might be prudent to ask for other recommendations. I know that this has been asked many times before and will be asked many many times in the future.

rdave13 22:42 11 Dec 10

AVG removal tools; click here

Home page, start IE. Click on tools then internet options, under the 'general' tab (default) then select the one homepage.

rdave13 23:19 11 Dec 10

Avast is an extraordinary free AV; click here

mooly 07:23 12 Dec 10

Click the small drop down arrow next to the home (house) symbol at top right of page. Use the remove option to delete the one you want to get rid of.

compumac 08:33 12 Dec 10

mooly
Thanks for that. As soon as I started to read your posting I remembered. (My age and the fact that it was time for bed)
rdave13.
Also thanks for input. Will talk with neighbours later today.

mooly 07:57 13 Dec 10

That's good... resolved ?
:)

compumac 08:40 13 Dec 10

Mooly
Did not see neighbours yesterday, but will tick this as being resolved. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…