Vista and HP 5150 printer

JF25 16:05 24 Apr 10

I have been using my HP 5150 printer for a few years using XP on my PC.
When I try to print using my laptop using Vista the printer runs very fast and uninstalled it as I thought it may not have installed properly but the same thing happens. It does say that there is a compatable issue with the OS and I have tried to get some info off the HP site but that is not much help. I am considering replacing my PC with one running Windows 7 and now wondering if I will have to change my printer as well.
I should perhaps say that currently the printer runs from a USB1 socket but the printer is supposed to run on USB1 or USB2
Any suggestions would be welcome.

Sea Urchin 19:18 24 Apr 10

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "the printer runs very fast". But presumably it is not printing very fast (which wouldn't be a problem?). Have you installed the Vista driver for the printer? If not here it is:

click here

Install it with the printer (USB) disconnected, and follow instructions as to when to connect.

Sea Urchin 19:21 24 Apr 10

Don't click on the large blue download button - that is for Driver Detective. It's the link a bi further down which says "Click here to download"

JF25 11:47 28 Apr 10

Thanks for your reply Sea Urchin, unfortunately while I did as you suggested and downloaded the the Vista driver and was advised that it had been installed successfully. However when I tried to print a page the ink was still really heavy and smeared at the touch. It works perfectly with my desktop PC which has USB1 input.
I find that if I set the printer to Best it prints fine at a much lower speed.
I was wondering if the printer was only supposed to work on USB1 but according to the box it is a USB2 printer.
Thank You
John

Sea Urchin 12:23 28 Apr 10

I don't thing the USB connection has anything to do with it. Your printer is designed to run at varying speeds according to the settings - anything from up to 19 pages per minute (in draft mode) to less than one page a minute.

click here

Now that you have the Vista driver installed you need to go into the printer preferences and look for things like Ink Volume, Dry Time and Overspray - these control the outflow of ink from the cartridges. It's usually best to have them set at automatic.

As you see from your user guide there are very many settings available for your printer, so it may be a matter of playing around with them to achieve the best results.

Sea Urchin 12:24 28 Apr 10

HP 5150 User Manual

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…