Vista Home Edition on Virtual PC 2007

McCub 21:40 25 Oct 07

I bought a system running Win XP Media Center Edition 2005 in December 2006 and took up the offer to acquire the upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium. The disk duly arrived earlier this year.

As I have some peripherals which appear to be incompatible with Vista I have not performed the upgrade as yet but would like to "test the water".

I followed the instructions regarding the creation of a Virtual PC and all went well until I tried to install Vista when, as I might have expected, I got the message that the upgrade would not install as XP was not on the virtual system.

Logic suggested that I should install Win XP Home on the Virtual PC from the disks supplied to me with my new system and all went well until it asked for the Professional version of SP2. I have the Home version of SP2 on CD but it would not accept same! I continued without it and XP Home is now running OK on my virtual PC.

Sadly I cannot get the Virtual PC to boot from the physical CD as it always goes straight into XP! (this did not happen with the XP installation which booted OK from the CD in Virtual PC)

I am assuming that I am within my rights to have two copies of XP running as they are both on the same physical system and also to upgrade one to Vista Home Premium still on the same physical system but I notice that XP on the Virtual PC requires activation!

Can anyone assist with this problem as I am sure it would appeal to many XP users who are reluctant to make the upgrade to Vista and have the disk and would like to try it.

Regards

Jmccub

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…