Vista HDD Space Diminishing? (Tip)

Taff™ 11:59 20 Oct 08

I am pretty good at cleaning out my Hard Drive - or so I thought! I ran Ccleaner yesterday and cleared out 600Mb but my HDD still seemed to have less space available than it should. Malware and Anti-Virus scans seemed to take ages and then I found the problem. Windows Error Reporting (WER).

In a folder c:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue I found 30Gb of data. Check out how much this folder contains by right clicking and selecting properties.

Solution: From Windows Explorer right click C Drive and select Properties. On the General Tab select Disk Clean Up. The WER files are last in the list and not ticked by default.

Taff™ 07:41 21 Oct 08

Nobody found the same thing?

mooly 07:58 21 Oct 08

Have just run disc cleanup in Vista. No such files showed up. What does free up space is clicking "more options" and deleting old restore points/shadow copies.

MAJ 10:38 21 Oct 08

i don't use Vista, but I found this click here when researching your post, Taff™. There is a warning about having to reinstall Vista, if it's done incorrectly. Other users who appeared to have done what you did successfully once or twice, reported that they did indeed later on have to reinstall Vista, after doing it a further time. This click here apparently, explains it a little more.

As I said, I don't use Vista, so can't confirm any of this, but just a little heads up.

Clapton is God 12:33 21 Oct 08

"my HDD still seemed to have less space available than it should"

You'll also find that another culprit for reducing HDD space in both Vista and XP is System Restore.

Whenever a restore point is created just a little more HDD space 'disappears'.

I regularly turn off System Restore to get rid of all those restore points (don't forget to turn it back on!).

mooly 07:47 22 Oct 08

Very interesting links. Anyone tried any of those I wonder.

BurrWalnut 08:25 22 Oct 08

Here is my on-going list of things to do to reclaim disk space. Most of them are straightforward but if you feel apprehensive or unsure about running something, just ignore it. Be particularly careful with number 4, here they are:

1. WinDirStat shows where disk space is being used including a nice graphical display. Just let the mouse pointer hover over the coloured areas to identify different file types. It won’t remove anything but it’s a good starting point in identifying the large ‘lumps’ of used space. Download it here click here
2. Remove temporary files. Click the Windows Orb (Start) > Run (if the Run command is not there, go to All Programs > Accessories and then click Run), type %temp% and press Enter. All the files that show can be safely deleted, there may be a few obstinate ones that refuse to be deleted.
3. Delete any temporary files that may be left over from CD and DVD burning. Navigate to the hidden folder C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Temporary Burn Folder and delete all the files.
4. Run Disk Cleanup. However, read this before running it click here If you have any of the large files mentioned in the article, don’t continue with it but run the Vista Disk Cleanup error bug fix click here
Access Disk Cleanup by going to Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools.
5. If you don't use Hibernation you can save the equivalent in hard drive space as RAM that is installed by turning it off. In a Run window, type powercfg.exe -h off (note the two spaces) and press Enter. To turn it back on type powercfg.exe -h on and press Enter.
6. Reduce the amount of space used by system restore. Open an elevated command prompt by clicking the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then ‘Run as Administrator’. To display the current parameters type (or Copy and mouse right-click > Paste) “vssadmin list shadowstorage” (not the quotes but the two spaces) and press Enter. To reduce (or increase) the disk space allocated, type (or Copy and Paste) “vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=c: /for=c: /maxsize=5GB” (not the quotes but the five spaces) and press Enter. This example assumes changing the space on drive C to 5GB. You may find that all the restore points have been removed after resizing so make sure the computer is behaving itself before reducing the space allocation. Also, make a manual restore point immediately after resizing.
7. Reduce the space used by the Recycle Bin. Right-click the Bin > Properties > Custom Size and amend as necessary.
8. The huge, Windows\winsxs (side by side folder) folder has a built-in function which identifies items that have been replaced by newer versions and removes them. Also, there is a ‘run-once’ program in SP1 that will immediately clean up all the components that were replaced in the Winsxs folder when SP1 was installed. NOTE that once you run the program you will no longer be able to remove SP1 should any problems occur, so make absolutely certain your computer is behaving itself before running it. Firstly, check the size of the folder by right-clicking it, choose Properties and make a note of its size and the number of files and folders. To run the program, open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\System32, look for the file VSP1CLN.EXE (the capitals are for clarity only), right-click it, select Run As Administrator then reply Y to the prompt. Now check its size again to see how much disk space you have reclaimed, you will be surprised as it will be significant.

There is no harm in running the program where SP1 was either included on the DVD or slipstreamed into the DVD before installation. Depending upon what has been installed, you may gain some disk space. The VSP1CLN.EXE program is described here click here

Taff™ 07:13 23 Oct 08

Thanks for the links - very interesting reading. It looks like the size of these files is being misreported. I just checked my HDD and there is no way that using disk cleanup as I said has saved 30Gb. (I should have checked more thoroughly before I posted)I`m going to do an Acronis Backup and try the registry hack in your first link. Will let you know!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now