Vista Freezing After Startup....

cbradley857 16:40 14 May 09

Last night I was using Virtualbox in Vista, as I Have been for a while. When I was finished I closed Virtualbox and proceeded to shut down my computer,
but windows froze, and while I could move the mouse, I was unable to use the start menu or anything else on the screen, including Task Manager, and was forced to shut the computer down manally (power button).

But when I went to use the computer today it froze again after I logged on, and I am now unable to use Windows. I have tried to do a system restore, and startup restore using the Windows disk, but to no avail. I want to avoid reinstalling windows at all costs, but does anyone have any idea what is causing this problem??

btw - Im on a Dell Inspiron 1525 running Vista Home Premium

cbradley857 16:56 14 May 09

Just did a virus scan of the Windows folder using ClamAV in Ubuntu. It found the following:
/Windows/installer/$patchcaches$/managed/00002109020090400000000f01fec/12.0.6215/XL12cnv.exe

windows/installer/7c2c8e.msp

windows/installer/6bdaa.msp

and

windows/installer/54066.msp

the status for each of these is W32.Virut.Gen.D-163

chub_tor 17:15 14 May 09

Can you get into Safe Mode and use your Anti Virus from there?

cbradley857 20:26 14 May 09

yeah im doing a scan now - 82% complete and nothing found yet though :(

chub_tor 09:30 15 May 09

If the virus test (and of course malware tests as well) turn out to be clean then you probably have a system file problem. Run sfc /scannow click here will give you the details. You can do all of the tests in Safe Mode

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017