Vista Freezing

dogbreath1 17:32 22 Jul 07

My son has a Vista machine connected to a BT Voyager 2000 Wireless Router via a D-Link DWL-G122 (Rev c) Wireless USB Adapter.

Only when using an application which requires internet access (such as MSN Messenger) does his PC freeze. With the wireless adapter unplugged, no problem experienced.

Th BT Voyager was installed for XP and the other two PC's using the router are XP machines.

I've been to the D-Link site and downloaded the most recent driver but it appears identical to the installed driver when viewing it's 'properties'. Just to be sure, the old driver was removed and the new downloaded driver installed....still the same problem.

Any ideas please??

dogbreath1 18:21 23 Jul 07

^^^

skidzy 19:44 23 Jul 07

Dogbreath,so your saying he has internet but no joy when using MSN ?

Or no internet at all ?

If no access,remove the D-link adaptor software and reboot and reinstall the software.

dogbreath1 20:06 23 Jul 07

All applications are working fine, at least temporarily. However, when on line, the machine freezes randomly. Remove the wireless USB adapter and the machine doesn't freeze.

We've already removed the D-Link driver and reinstalled, but the random freezing occurs when the machine is on-line.

Could there be any significance in the BT Voyager 2000 router having been initially (and currently) installed on an XP machine??

The Vista install is a fresh install, onto a new machine and with no additional programs added.

skidzy 20:17 23 Jul 07

Have you checked device manager once the adapter is connected ?

I take you have plenty of ram installed ?

dogbreath1 20:45 23 Jul 07

Have not checked Device Manager, but will do.

There's 1GB RAM installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos