vista and external hard drive

aine 20:30 17 Jul 07

I have just upgraded from XP to vista,the only thing i have a problem with is vista does not show my external drive,when trying to use it. The drive shows on the device mngr, and states it is working correctly. I have checked for the correct driver,ok. Has anybody got any ideas, willing to try your suggestions

skidzy 20:34 17 Jul 07

Is this a mains powered or usb external drive ?

Is the drive listed in Computer management ?

Righ click Computer/manage/disk management

skidzy 20:34 17 Jul 07

Is this a mains powered or usb external drive ?

Is the drive listed in Computer management ?

Righ click Computer/manage/disk management

aine 21:00 17 Jul 07

Skidzy. It is a usb external drive/powered by mains. It is not listed in disk managment, but it is listed under device mngr

skidzy 21:12 17 Jul 07

First thing to do is uninstall all usb headings and reboot and let windows install the drivers.

Do you get the adding hardware wizard popup ?

Have you loaded any software for this drive ?

Is this a bought external drive or an old drive in a caddy ?
Reason i say this,and if the case...you may need to move the jumpers.

aine 21:59 17 Jul 07

First i am not sure what you mean by usb headings? I did not get the software wizard.I have loaded 3 times the soft ware with it,it is a bought external drive, it worked okay in XP.It is a freecom drive.signing off for tonight converse tomorrow

skidzy 22:05 17 Jul 07

Uninstall the software and reboot
Connect the drive
When prompted by the windows hardware wizard,install the software.
Though you may not need the software.

If no joy:

In Device Manager,uninstall everything under usb headings.
Reboot
Windows will reinstall the generic drivers.

Then plug the drive in again.

tobyb121 22:11 17 Jul 07

make sure the drive is formated correctly, a drive formated in a way that cannot be recognized by windows, won't show up at all.

skidzy 22:17 17 Jul 07

Though im assuming this,i think aine has data on the drive and does not want to lose this by formatting.

tobyb121 22:57 17 Jul 07

I agree, but it would explain why the computer is not recognizing it, and would then make the problem quite easy to fix.
@Aine, have you tried the drive on any other computers. And in the disk management utility, what format is the drive in.

aine 19:54 18 Jul 07

I uninstalled usb devices, as suggested.The pc did not reload them, i am now stuck as they are now missing.Freecom.com suggest the driver should be installed by vista.The drive worked okay on this pc when it was running on XP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced