Vista Excel - sort and filter

ArcAngel67 22:28 03 Jan 09

Has anyone worked out how I can sort A-Z one column without affecting the data in an adjacent column (eg names and ages in separate columns). It used to be so simple on XP. Every time I try the second column (age) does not move and makes the data incorrect. Grrrr, driving me up the wall!

VoG II 23:08 03 Jan 09

Your description doesn't make a lot of sense.

Select the Name and Ages column then sort by Name. Does that do what you want?

ArcAngel67 23:40 03 Jan 09

No, it changes the name column to read A-Z, but doesn't adjust the next column (the ages) to reflect the changes. So:

Jane 24
Ian 25
Alison 23

becomes

Alison 24
Ian 25
Jane 23

XP allows the second column to adjust itself to suite.

Woolwell 23:48 03 Jan 09

This has nothing to do with XP or Vista. My version of Excel works exactly the same in both OS's. Which version of Excel 2003 or 2007 or earlier?

VoG II 23:49 03 Jan 09

I don't know what XP and Vista have to do with this.

Which version of Excel are you using?

Simsy 07:38 04 Jan 09

that you are not selecting the second column in the group to be sorted...

Suppose the name are in column A and the ages in B... are you selecting BOTH A and B?

If not, then do so, (using the relevant colums of course!), and choose Data>Sort

You can then choose the paramaters you want.

Note that is for versions before Excel 2007, withthe ribbon... I can't recall exactly how to do it with that, but I'm sure the issue is having the two colums selected when you do the sort.

Hope this helps, with apologies if it doesn't!

Regards,

Simsy

ArcAngel67 10:00 04 Jan 09

Ah, thanks for your responses! I think I can see what I've done - because I had merged columns to make the first column of data wider this wouldn't allow me to sort both the names and ages together (something to do with the merger). I've had to un-merge the first column to allow me to do this.

Thanks once again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5