Vista downgrade to XP

thr62 19:36 13 Jul 09

Hi everyone,

Been a lurker on this site for a while, now finally joined ; OK - I have a compaq presario laptop A900 with Vista pre installed, just can't get on with Vista and so decided to go back to XP - understand the best way is a fresh install, I'm ok with this but I've only ever done this with upgrades
eg: win 98 to XP and didn't have any trouble with the drivers, my questions are
1. Is the HP/Compaq website best place to get the XP drivers.
2. Which drivers should I download to dc prior to the install (modem, wi fi adaptor etc)

Any advice would be great
Thanks in advance

crosstrainer 19:40 13 Jul 09

Did you get a CD /DVD with your system? Maybe not, as most laptop's these days come with a restore partition. That would of course simply re-install Vista.

To Install XP, you will need a valid copy of the o?s and the best advice I can give is that you contact the retailer, and explain what you need to do.

norman47 19:45 13 Jul 09

select your model from click here and see if they have the XP drivers for your machine.

Download them all, if they are any and put them on a memory stick.

lotvic 19:48 13 Jul 09

Buy a another harddrive and do a fresh clean install of XP on that. (Take out the HDD with Vista on and keep it safe)
You will need all the usual drivers - mobo etc.
Keep the working harddrive with Vista on (then you will still be able to access the internet to d/l any drivers for XP you missed)
You will have the best of both worlds and can swap the harddrives depending on which OS you want to use.

canarieslover 19:54 13 Jul 09

Google for A900 XP drivers and you will see a lot of requests for various drivers, ie sound & modem. Make certain that you can find these before even considering down grading. Also it will have a SATA drive so you will need drivers to enabe XP to see it unless it is a late version of XP that you are using. Why not just reset everything to 'Classic Style' first and see if that makes you feel more comfortable with Vista? The last thing that you want to do is get rid of Vista and end up with a machine that doesn't work properly so why not consider a new hard drive to install to? That way you can go back to Vista very quickly if the XP install goes t*ts up. You can always put the other drive in a case as an external back-up then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac