Vista Disk Management

jjss 00:19 17 Jan 09

My O/S is Vista Business and I'm trying to make an extra partion from a partion that is 73GB to load Window 7. The problem is that when I chose "shrink partion" within Disk Management to make space, I'm only given the option to reduce by 978MB. If I try to reduce by more the "Sprink" button grey's out.

I've used this very useful tool before with no problems so I'm a little lost as to why this problem has come up.

Anybody have any ideas other than using a 3rd party utility which would require formating the 73GB partion in question. I pretty certain that using the Sprink tool you only need to format the created free space.

The HD in question has a hidden recovery partion, C Drive 38GB(Vista) & D Drive 73GB(Data)

Many Thanks in antisapation

Jack

MAJ 01:04 17 Jan 09

I think that happens if Vista's tool comes up against an immovable/locked file. Did you move your page file to that partition?

jjss 09:17 17 Jan 09

MAJ
Thanks for your imput. I've not knowing moved page file and I've since checked virtual memory setting to make sure. I left virtual memory to be system controlled. I've used the build in Disk Cleaner tool and defragged the problem partition and tried again with no joy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…