Vista desktop not responding to cursor

xuroys 08 Jun 12

My computer has frozen - it opens to the desktop and the cursor works but if I try to click on any icon nothing happens. I tried the repair program but nothing has changed, also tried safe mode but still nothing !! HELP !!!

buteman 08 Jun 12

Have you tried starting in safe mode,Just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts.And if it lets you in try last good configuration or a system restore.

Also check device manager to see if any yellow exclamation marks beside any of the devices.

xuroys 08 Jun 12

I already tried safe mode but nothing responds to the cursor. I have to turn off by disconnecting from mains so impossible to check device manager. I did manage to restore (via task manager & dos) to 2 days ago but that didn't help. Could the problem be the video card working loose ?

buteman 08 Jun 12

xuroys

Not sure about that but it would do no harm to check and see.Maybe also check that the Memory sticks are connected properly.

Best waiting till someone else can give you the advice that you need.

Probably wont work but press the windows key and R at the same time and the run program will open type cmd and then type sfc /scannow and see if that will run.

Maybe disconnect anything plugged into your usb ports to see if that makes any difference.

xuroys 08 Jun 12

Now the desktop has vanished, leaving a blank screen but with a cursor which still works !! Windows key + R didn't work but I got a cmd window via task manager and it is running the scannow program but I did something similar yesterday and it didn't work. If this does't work I think I will try opening up the case and aking sure nothing is loose.

lotvic 08 Jun 12

It's safer for your pc to switch it off by holding in the Power Button for about 10-15 secs rather than switching off at the mains electric plug.

Have you tried a different mouse? it is possible to just use the keyboard to navigate, for the keys to press, google for 'no mouse use keyboard'

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Behind the scenes at Silverstone, the 70th British Grand Prix: Hisense starts UK push with Red…

How Found created this skateboard, bike and parkour stunts-laden, single-take car ad

Apple Pay UK launch date, UK user guide and participating UK banks | Apple Pay to launch in UK on 1?…

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message