Vista Desktop Icons Change to Explorer Icon

AlanHo 10:59 10 Sep 07

Vista Ultimate computer.

When you add a new desktop shortcut to the desktop - it allocates a standard explorer icon. I have changed these to more descriptive icons stored on my hard disc by right clicking the icon, selecting change icon, browsing to my file of icons (.ico files)clicking apply etc. The chosen icon then appears on the desktop.

However - sometimes, for no apparent reason, certain icons randomly revert to the explorer icon. After a reboot - the icons may - or may not - correct themselves.

If I right click on the faulty ones the heading of the web document tab still shows the correct icon but I have to go through the procedure of changing the icon all over again to get the specific icon back on the desktop.

This used to happen from time to time when I used Windows XP - but seems more prevalent on Vista.

I have searched the Microsoft knowledge base in vain - does anyone have a solution...?

ambra4 11:19 10 Sep 07

Can you right click on desktop and do a refresh

AlanHo 12:12 10 Sep 07

I have already tried the right clicking on the desktop - it makes no difference.

I know that I am not alone in suffering from this problem - a friend also experiences it on his Vista laptop.

Two weeks ago - for other reasons - I did a reformat and clean instal of Vista. I hoped that this would resolve the problem - but no such luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…