Vista Business ate my user profiles help

segul111 15:18 10 Jul 08

After cancelling microsofts' attempt to automatically download vista SP1 ( I forgot to turn off auto updates) and I logged off then logged back on, I found that Vista Business did not recognize my user profile and loaded the default profile instead.

I was advised - wrongly it now appears - that I may have a boot sector virus, so I ran a boot sector scan and did not find anything untoward.

Question 1: Where have my user profiles gone and how can I fix the problem in simple plain English please.

Question 2: I have a dual boot laptop, XP one side and Vista Business on the other, how do I check that the partition is okay?

Question 3: Why does Vista eat my non microsoft desktop icons? It apparently delets them after a month even though they are in constant use.

Thanks in advance

Segul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…