Vista Basic Won't play MPEG-2 DVD?

Tinkey Winkey 01:22 09 Oct 09

Vista Basic doesn't come with an MPEG-2 codec for playing DVDs in Windows Media Player and web browsers.
No problem, I have downloaded a free MPEG-2 codec in the past i.e. VistaCodecs_v546 from click here and Media player has worked okay.

Since reinstalling Vista I can't get any MPEG-2 playback at all?

Also tried FDD Show Codec Pack from here:
click here

Real player doesn't work either?
Just keep getting the same error message "...a compatible dvd decoder is not installed on your computer"? in both Win Media Player and Real Player.DivX Player can't read DVDs either?

I am at a dead end on this one?

Strawballs 04:02 09 Oct 09

I use nero on my vista basic to play MPEG

ened 06:49 09 Oct 09

Install the Klite package

click here

aeventh one down

Tinkey Winkey 10:32 09 Oct 09

The K-Lite codec package allowed me to watch some DVD files with DivX Player in a limited, way by locating and selecting each file manually (no autoplay) and wasn't able to use on screen menu buttons.

Win Media Player hasn't been enabled by the codec and Real Player no longer starts at all!

Downloaded the Power DVD 9 Trial which works well,looks like I'm going to have to get this.

Won't bother ever installing Vista Basic again :(

Woolwell 11:04 09 Oct 09

Try VLC Media Player, it's free and does MPEG2 click here

Tinkey Winkey 11:12 09 Oct 09

ok will do,thanks Woolwell.

Have just found this free DVD player and it's alright for now:
click here

ened 11:16 09 Oct 09

I have Klite and nothing else on my machine.

Apart from the odd corrupted file it plays ALL formats in WMP. Most especially I like it because it plays ram,rm etc and takes away the need for that horrible Realplayer.

I think you need to check for updates and make sure you set the options correctly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…