Vista backup fault

peterambo 14:15 03 Sep 07

I am running Vista Ultimate with an 80gb HD. It is partitioned roughly 50/50 and I have set it to backup important files etc.When I backup, the system reports a backup failure, and gives the following message. 'If an MM error is returned which is not defined in the standard FsRtl filter, it is converted to one of the following errors which is guaranteed to be in the filter. In this case information is lost, however the filter correctly handles the exception.(0x00000EA)'
My main drive is C and I backup to D. Any one any ideas please?

clives 17:22 23 Oct 07

peterambo, did you ever solve your problem and, if so, how? I am having exactly the same problem when trying to back up my hard-drive.

peterambo 17:59 23 Oct 07

Sorry, no. I've posted this on quite a few sites but no-one has come back on it. I subscribe to PC Pro mag., so I may try their help site. If you should come across an answer though please let me know. If I get an answer to it, I'll post it here

Technotiger 18:35 23 Oct 07

The best way to backup is by using a program like Acronis True Image and saving your backups on an external USB hard drive. When saved, even if successfully on the same had drive as your system, what happens when you have a fault which prevents getting your system running again? With Acronis you create a Rescue CD, which enables a 'broken' PC to be started again, to effect the Restore.

SANTOS7 18:39 23 Oct 07

Backing up to the same HDD is not really the way to go if your HDD dies so does your Backup,technotiger has given sound advice, useing a prog like Acronis true Image (superb,use it myself) and backing up to removable media or another HDD is the safest way to go...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced