Vista AntiVirus 2008 - Can't Logon to PC!

DMartin747 17:30 31 Aug 08

Hoping someone can help. Thanks to PCAdvisor, I now know that I have been infected with Vista AntiVirus 2008. I knew something was wrong the other night at 3:00 AM, so I turned off my Router and tried to reboot my PC. My problem now is that I can't logon to my PC at all. It gets as far as letting me pick a user and enter my password, then I get a bogus error message and the system reboots. Safe Mode does not work either. I am thinking that I need to create a bootable CD so I can get in there and clean up the hard drive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:43 31 Aug 08

Try booting into safe mode

What antispyware do you have?

Superantispyware will get rid of it.

Quiller. 17:55 31 Aug 08

"I am thinking that I need to create a bootable CD "

Do you not have a windows disk or recovery disk that came with your machine?

Quiller. 17:57 31 Aug 08

the ultimate boot disk and run scans from there. click here

Also consider installing linux to recover your data and then a reinstall of windows.

DMartin747 18:08 31 Aug 08

Safe Mode does not work. I have Norton Internet Security, but can't get to it because I can't logon...

DMartin747 18:11 31 Aug 08

I have searched all over the house and can't find the disks that came with the PC. Driving me nuts. My wife probably filed them away somewhere.

I will try the ultimate boot disk you suggested and let you know how it goes...

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. This is ruining my 3 day weekend!

DMartin747 18:22 31 Aug 08

I am downloading UBCD4Win version 3.20 now, but it s pretty slow. Luckily I have my laptop from work so I will burn a CD and then use it for my personal desktop with the problem...

To be continued...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009