Vista

SURVEY 18:52 10 Dec 07

I about to have my new laptop delivered and this will come with Vista Home Premium. My desktop runs XP and I use AVG Free, Zonealarm, Adaware and Spybot.

I believe that I read somewhere that with Vista, the Vista Firewall will replace Zonealarm. Am I correct? I assume that AVG, Adaware and Spybot are compatible?

Anything else I need?

chub_tor 19:29 10 Dec 07

I run AVG, AdAware and Spybot - all the latest versions OK on Vista. I use the Vista Firewall and not Zone Alarm or any other software firewall but I do have a router with a hardware firewall.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:33 10 Dec 07

Vista firewall is much better than the old XP one but if you wish you can turn it off and run Zonealarm if you prefer.

I assume that AVG, Adaware and Spybot are compatible? yes latest versions will run in Vista.

skidzy 19:54 10 Dec 07

There is an ongoing debate and always will be regarding Vista's firewall.

Yes its slightly better than xp's,but a lot of folk are led to believe you will have inbound and outbound protection just as Zonealarm or some of the others provide.

This is partly true,but unless you study and try to work out how to create the rules required (and that can take a lifetime) not to mention being a professor , Vista's firewall is not much better than xp's.

Though Vista has a few created rules,its not nearly enough to give you the same protection that Zonealarm or others gives you.

In saying this,i do use the Vista firewall coupled with the routers NAT firewall and secured connection,but i am the only user of this machine.

A simple Google will answer the Vista firewall reliability.

I also know several here only use the Vista firewall,but i guess they are safe surfers also.

skidzy 20:13 10 Dec 07

Though a little outdated,this link basically sums up Vista's firewall click here

There are many links like this on Google,so my advice is;

If in doubt,get yourself a free third party firewall such as Zonealrm or Comodo.
Or of course there are the paid suites such as Mcafee/Norton etc.

SURVEY 21:55 10 Dec 07

Thanks all for y0ur responses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…