Vista

bpboon2 18:17 04 Feb 07

I would like to upgrade to Vista Premium home. I know I have a 32bit computer but which program do I buy to get up to Vista. As there are 2 programs for the 32 bit computer. I have no idea as to which one. At the moment running XPHome

ed-0 18:20 04 Feb 07

First thing to do is to run the vista upgrade advisor click here. Just to see IF your computer can run Vista Premium home.

Totally-braindead 18:22 04 Feb 07

Because you already have an operating system installed you have 2 choices. Buy a full Vista Premium disk or buy an upgrade. The OEM version is for new computers only.
Its expensive though.

Totally-braindead 18:22 04 Feb 07

ed-0s right should have thought of that, check it will run first.

VoG II 18:25 04 Feb 07

Well, I thought that with a top-spec PC barely a year old I would have no problem installing Vista Home Edition Premium upgrade. How wrong I was! I tried yesterday:

I dutifully removed all incompatibles (including Norton Ghost 9 and my Canon Lide 20 scanner), turned off anti-virus and proceeded with an upgrade install. After about 90 minutes and the nth reboot it informed me that a problem had been encountered and it would revert back to XP, which it did after about 10 minutes. At this point I should have been worried but stupidly I tried again. This time it completed (2 hours later) and after a lot of Vista nag screens other screens popped-up saying that this that and the other apps (including McAfee - the whole caboodle - AV, firewall etc) were incompatible. Oh, and I had no sound. I also found that IE simply crashed (window didn't open, just a nag to close it).

Uninstalled McAfee, went to the website (using FF) and re-downloaded it. Protected again. Looked in device manager, yellow against Creative Audigy Soundcard - Error Code 10 Device could not start. Updated drivers - nowt. Removed and rebooted - nowt. Reloaded Creative CD - after 30 minutes of error messages from Vista during the repair install I gave up.

Tried SFC/ SCANNOW from Run - flash then nowt. From Command Prompt - insufficient privileges.

Tried System Restore - nothing doing.

Reinstalled Norton Ghost, booted from the Norton Ghost CD into the Recovery Environment, restored C: from the latest (4am yesterday) full image and hey presto 15 minutes later booted into Windows (XP) with everything working again.

I've put Vista away - too much excitement I'm afraid.

Totally-braindead 18:32 04 Feb 07

Just out of curiosity I just downloaded and tried the upgrade advisor to see what would happen.
It failed to run it encountered a problem and advised me to download the latest version and try again. I can't do that it was the latest version I was trying.
So I can only assume that I would have problems.

dogbreath1 18:41 04 Feb 07

VoG™'s experience does not seem to be uncommon.

I will be going Vista...but it will be a fresh install on a new machine followed by the introduction of preferred apps..

The fact that you can get so deep into an upgrade before encountering apparently insurmountable problems is reason enough not to go that way.

Diodorus Siculus 18:42 04 Feb 07

If you are happy with XP, why not try a dual-boot with Vista? It will necessitate having either a partitioned hard disk or a second hard disk. Dual boot will at least let you try it out without losing the ability to use XP.

Jimmy14 18:49 04 Feb 07

I wouldn't recommend anyone doing a upgrade from XP to Vista but instead a clean install. I done an upgrade from RC1 to build 5728 and I was faced with dozens of errors and program compatibility issues. Since then I have done clean installs and now love Vista Home Premium and Ultimate.

Totally-braindead 18:50 04 Feb 07

Jimmy14 you love both of them? So you have two PCs running 2 versions of Vista?

i have a vista upgrade offer, but a guy at work has begged me not to do it, after 3 days working out hardware compatibility issues, he has found out 2/ 18 games work, the ones which do, dont very well, had problems with av, tweeks, all on a 3 month old £1100 pc, which was in his words 'running as sweet as...' before he started messing!
i would like to install it, to see what its like, but i think i will hang on and read these forums with interest first!
adam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017