Visitor counter

tlr 20:23 04 Aug 05

Hi I have set uop my first website and its online, what I would like to do is add a visitor counter, where and how do I get one and put it on my site. I used netfusion and hosted with 123reg

Forum Editor 00:52 05 Aug 05

Hit counters are considered to be a bit naff in web-design circles, and mark your site as 'amateur' to the world at large. They are also fairly meaningless.

A hit counter records a 'hit' each time someone clicks on the page (usually the homepage) on which the code is placed. This means that each time someone clicks back and forth from your homepage to another page and back to the homepage the counter clocks up another hit. You will do it yourself, as you proudly check and double-check your site.

What really counts, as far as infoprmation is concerned, is the total number of unique visitors - individual people who visit the site - plus the pages they look at. This information is usually available to your on your host server - just ask your web-host about web stats. Good hosts will provide you with a link that displays the statistics for your site on all their glory. You'll see the number of unique visitors for the past month, plus the most popular pages, the browsers that your visitors used, which country they were from, and even which url they came to your site from.

If after all that you decide to have a hit counter on the site
click here

PurplePenny 21:32 05 Aug 05

FE took the words right out of my mouth (or keyboard as the case may be). I took one look at the subject of this post and the words "seriously naff" where hovering at my fingertips ready to be typed.

As well as FE's point about them being inaccurate some can be altered. If a counter is very low I think that the site isn't very popular and if the counter is very high I think someone's been upping the figures. Either way the site loses out in my opinion of it.

PurplePenny 21:37 05 Aug 05

oops .. "were" not "where"!

tlr 16:15 09 Aug 05

I dont want naff.......consider in unconsidered!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…