Virus/Trojan stopping use of CW Shredder

TOPCAT® 23:17 21 Feb 05

This I think is happening on a friends Packard-Bell Win98 machine, circa 1998. It has been worked without good security programmes running and viruses only came to light when I installed AVG7 and other software today - 7 in total! To make matters worse, most of the important CDs that came with the machine are missing, not that they would solve the dilemma at this time.

I tried to run CW Shredder to check for trojans but the WinSystem Oleacc.dll wouldn't start it up. I replaced it twice with good copies but still get the same message. Now, when I go online in IE6 there comes a stream of error reports needing to be sent to Microsoft, which itself says "restart IE" each time. None get sent of course and more pop up 'til they just freeze up the IE page. Any suggestions on how to overcome this would be much appreciated.

This machine was loaded with spyware and other junk which Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware SE and SpywareBlaster have removed. The hard drive had not been defragged for years and a boot-up took ages! The owner lady has been shown the error of her ways in no uncertain terms! :o) TC.

jimv7 00:10 22 Feb 05

Download Microsoft antispy from click here install/update and run.

Dan the Confused 00:31 22 Feb 05

click here may help.

phono 00:44 22 Feb 05

I could be wrong but as far as I am aware, Microsoft Antispyware will not run on a Win 98 system, windows 2000 or XP and above only.

Jak_1 02:12 22 Feb 05

make a note of the trojans then go to symantec.com and look them up in the virus encyclopaedia. There it will give instructions for removal.

You may have to bootup up in safe mode to be able to delete various files.

CWShredder removes coolweb files and not trojans as such. Also run Spyboy and AdAware. Sugest also getting zonealarm firewall free from click here

TOPCAT® 10:08 22 Feb 05

I've now found a list of anti-viral tools on AVG's website - Grisoft.com. Will be using these later and will report the result later.

phono - you are correct in what you say about MS Antispyware. TC.

VoG II 10:10 22 Feb 05

CWShredder or HijackThis closes immediately after opening?

click here

VoG II 10:11 22 Feb 05

Also, I suggest scanning with a² click here

TOPCAT® 20:13 23 Feb 05

but I was away on another more urgent matter!

I've used various tools and am now satisfied there isn't a virus or anything nasty on this computer. It's running near perfectly now, save for a couple or so glitches which I can't fully eradicate. I really wanted to do a format and complete install of everything, using the two Master CDs which the lady has found. What's still missing is the computer's documents and the special boot disk which, from DOS, starts the automatic format and install. Puts the PC back to the state it left the factory in. I've searched the P-B Europe website, downloaded a recovery file to floppy, but I'm not sure it will be the right one! I'll try it later and see if it triggers the master cd into life. TC.

TOPCAT® 13:42 24 Feb 05

Everything is fine now and thanks for the help.

I'm going to additionally install AVG7, ZoneAlarm and anti-spyware tools with full instructions on how to keep them up to date! TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…