VIRUS/SPYWARE SCANS IS THERE A NEED TO RUN DAILY?

gel 07:13 22 Oct 06

Hello
I use Avast (free edition)and ad-aware I keep them updated.How often should I run a scan daily weekly?
I am very careful of the sites I visit and never open emails if I do not recognise the sender.
Comments appreciated.
Thank you
gel

ICF 07:30 22 Oct 06

Run one full scan then in theory it should pick up any nasties as they arrive.This is what I have always done and I have had no problems so far.

ICF 07:31 22 Oct 06

As for spyware check for updates and run the scanner daily if you wish.

gel 07:39 22 Oct 06

Thanks ICF Are you saying that you rarely scan once you have installed the prog and have run you full scan?
The spyware takes very little time to run, so daily makes sence but a full scan by avast including archivss can take over an hour on my PC , hence the question
Cheers
gel

rawprawn 08:22 22 Oct 06

I do a full scan on a weekly basis, to be on the safe side,

wiz-king 08:35 22 Oct 06

I think that a weekly scan should be fine, I have been caught once by a virus that got in before the anti-virus had been updated - that was a pain!
Don't forget to set the anti-virus to scan all mass storage devices as well - your Ipod could have a virus - unlikely but moving data and programs from one PC to another via a pen drive is as much of a risk as downloading from the Internet.

gel 09:20 22 Oct 06

Thanks
A weekly it will be
Cheers

ICF 09:23 22 Oct 06

gel
Yes I rarely run a full scan after the initial full scan.

ICF 09:25 22 Oct 06

wiz-king said :-

I think that a weekly scan should be fine, I have been caught once by a virus that got in before the anti-virus had been updated - that was a pain!

If the scanner was not up to date would a full scan pick up what the active scanner missed. Don't the use the same data base of virus definitions?

birdface 09:35 22 Oct 06

I use AVG,and scan daily,Better safe than sorry, And if you dont have it, Download Spyware Blaster,That runs in the background,and just check once a week for up-dates

gel 09:40 22 Oct 06

Just a query Can I run avast in the background ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…