Virus/malware attack

TOFF 20:20 08 May 06

Yesterday my son inadvisedly downloaded something containing viruses/malware which included Winfixer, Surf Sidekick, Look2me, Mousepad17, Keyboard 17, Newname 17, Command service and Smitfraud C amongst others. Early symptoms sent my McAfee virus scan into a cadenza, such that it found itself unable to deal with some of it. I kept on getting pop-ups with pages with addresses ending in 'tau.html' as well. With the help of Windows Defender, Ad-aware and Spybot S&D and McAfee, both in normal and safe modes, I managed to eradicate most of it but have been left with some problems - the worst of which is that now I cannot connect to the internet on that computer. The computer usually connects through a router directly but Windows says that the connection is not good and when I try to repair it, it tells me that I need to renew my IP address. I should add that the connection icon only shows up after about 5 minutes from rebooting. It is set to get an IP address automatically. Should I enter a manual IP address and if so, how should I find out what it should be? I have another computer on the network which is unaffected. I have run Network set up wizard on both machines several times without success. Can anyone help, please?
PS McAfee virus scan also has a problem but I hope to get guidance from them.

VoG II 20:22 08 May 06

Try this click here

mike1967 20:25 08 May 06

Not sure if everyone agrees but I also managed to download loads of spyware with a work laptop, and I just did a restore to the day before and that cleared everything. That the correct thing to do

TOFF 21:04 08 May 06

VoG - many thanks for that. All seems to be running perfectly. I am eternally grateful, a always to those of you who so kindly asist in this forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…