Virus/malware attack

TOFF 20:20 08 May 06

Yesterday my son inadvisedly downloaded something containing viruses/malware which included Winfixer, Surf Sidekick, Look2me, Mousepad17, Keyboard 17, Newname 17, Command service and Smitfraud C amongst others. Early symptoms sent my McAfee virus scan into a cadenza, such that it found itself unable to deal with some of it. I kept on getting pop-ups with pages with addresses ending in 'tau.html' as well. With the help of Windows Defender, Ad-aware and Spybot S&D and McAfee, both in normal and safe modes, I managed to eradicate most of it but have been left with some problems - the worst of which is that now I cannot connect to the internet on that computer. The computer usually connects through a router directly but Windows says that the connection is not good and when I try to repair it, it tells me that I need to renew my IP address. I should add that the connection icon only shows up after about 5 minutes from rebooting. It is set to get an IP address automatically. Should I enter a manual IP address and if so, how should I find out what it should be? I have another computer on the network which is unaffected. I have run Network set up wizard on both machines several times without success. Can anyone help, please?
PS McAfee virus scan also has a problem but I hope to get guidance from them.

VoG II 20:22 08 May 06

Try this click here

mike1967 20:25 08 May 06

Not sure if everyone agrees but I also managed to download loads of spyware with a work laptop, and I just did a restore to the day before and that cleared everything. That the correct thing to do

TOFF 21:04 08 May 06

VoG - many thanks for that. All seems to be running perfectly. I am eternally grateful, a always to those of you who so kindly asist in this forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This poetic animation about monsters is illustrated in a Van Gogh painterly style

Apple predictions 2017