Viruses over wireless networks?

Nuttyscrat 17:27 30 Nov 06

Is it possible to get a virus through a wireless network? We have 3 computers linked up to a netgear router sharing a 1meg broadband connection. My brother has started to use Limewire on his computer, and apart from slowing my connection down I'm worried that if he accidentaly downloads a virus me or mum will get it too. He only has Norton anti-virus, and I have ZA and AVG. We had a massive infestation on all 3 pcs last year and we were told then that viruses etc can spread through the wireless. But then of course someone has to go and say that they can't... so I need to make sure.
If they can I shall promptly go and bounce my brother's face off his desk and tell him to get rid of the p2p. =D

And by the way, is there a way to stop my connection slowing down when somebody else on the wireless is (e.g.)downloading something? I play a mmorpg and the latency sucks. I bet there isnt a way is there, things are annoying like that.

Anyway cheers in advance ^^

mgmcc 20:33 30 Nov 06

You will only get a virus over the network, "wired" or "wireless", if an infected file is transferred over the Local Area Network using "File & Printer Sharing". If you don't have a need to transfer files between computers, untick the box in the Wireless Network Connection's Properties for "File & Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks".

<<< is there a way to stop my connection slowing down when somebody else on the wireless is (e.g.) downloading something? >>>

It's not the wireless connection that will be slowing you down but the 1Mbps broadband connection that's being shared by whoever is online.

Nuttyscrat 21:10 30 Nov 06

Thank you! Thats perfect. We don't transfer files so I'm safe then =P

And looks like I'm either going to have to ask mum to upgrade the internet or get my own xD

Thanks again! ^^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…