Viruses that keep reappearing

Long time since I was last on here. Now living and working in Spain.

I have a problem with a friends PC. He keeps getting viruses and I keep removing them by reinstalling Windows XP Pro and all his applications.

The problem is that he likes to visit a "certain type" of website, even though I have warned him that these are probably where they are coming from.

I used to install AVG7, Adaware, SpyBot & SpywareBlaster but these never seemed to stop the viruses, so he went out and brought Norton Antivirus 2005 which I put on there 2 days ago after reinstalling Windows again.

He has just phoned me to say that Norton has cleared off 32 viruses but is unable to fix a further 6.

His PC is connected to the internet via a Satellite Broadband link with a fixed IP address. The Windows Firewall is turned on as are all the parts of Norton.

What else can I do to stop these viruses from infecting his computer. He won´t stop visiting his websites so I need to find something else.

Any help would be appreciated.

VoG II 22:47 21 Jul 05

Disable System Restore click here

Scan again with Norton (actually he would probably be better off with AVG) and a² click here

When all clear, re-enable System Restore.

Vog, thanks for the quick reply.

I have managed to clear the viruses each time, but he always does something to get them back onto his system. My real question was how do I stop them getting back on to his computer once I have removed them? They always seem to get through his firewall and AV software.

I have been away from computers for nearly a year so was wondering if any new software is available? I will try the a2 software as you suggested.

961 08:49 22 Jul 05

See if the ISP can offer a non fixed IP address. If not can he use a hardware firewall. If not then he needs either Zone Alarm or Sygate firewall. The Windows firewall does not protect outgoing data, only incoming. ZA works in both directions

DieSse 09:29 22 Jul 05

Better AV? - Try NOD32 click here 30day free trial

Better Firewall?

Firefox as a browser?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…