Viruses detected

Wilber6 15:08 02 May 06

I keep my antivirus software, AVG, (free version), fully up to date, along with all my antispyware software. I have had no viruses detected for months.
A scan yesterday by AVG has found 5 “JavaByteVerify” viruses and 1 Trojan Horse virus.
These are all “embedded”, (whatever that means), and cannot be removed, deleted, moved to the vault or healed by AVG.
Even turning off System Restore and scanning in Safe Mode has been unsuccessful at removing them.

3 questions: how did they elude up to date AVG, how can I safely remove them, and how can I prevent this in the future if they might be harmful?

Any help greatly received.

Many thanks, Wilber6

VoG II 15:10 02 May 06
  Diversion 16:16 02 May 06

Do you use any spyware remover such as spybot click here and Ad-Aware click here

Eric half-a-bee 19:02 02 May 06

Try some of the online scans e.g. click here click here

Eric half-a-bee 19:11 02 May 06

Also found this click here=

First, go to Windows Update and make sure you have all "critical" updates installed.

Then go to System Restore, and disable System Restore, which will wipe out all of your old restore points.

Next I ran Ad-aware SE, the full system scan. Make sure it's updated!!

Next I ran SpyBot 1.4 with the most recent definitions. Also make sure you have the "immunity" feature fully functional. Please note, the immunity feature in SpyBot only works with IE, so if you use FireFox you're still suspect to get infections of malware :-(

After this, go to the Control Panel and switch it to Classic View. The open up the Java Controls, and clear the cache here.

Then go to Disk Cleanup, run it and remove all Temporary Internet files, including those stored locally, and the Temporary files as well.

Now fire up your AVG, get all the definition updates, and scan. Hopefully you will not find ByteVerify, and you should not get it again. Hope this works for you, as it worked like a charm for me!!

A for why AVG didn't stop it, you get what you pay for.

john-232317 20:02 02 May 06

Just do as VoG™ posted and clear the java cache as described in his link.

Wilber6 20:03 03 May 06

As usual, many thanks for all of the really helpful suggestions. I have sorted out the problem.

Totally-braindead 20:15 03 May 06

I had the same thing with AVG at the weekend, ran ccleaner and Counterspy and between them they deleted them.
Why didn't AVG stop it, because its impossible for any anti virus to be 100% all of the time. If you download a program and install it perhaps the virus will get in that way. The important thing to do is keep your anti virus up to date, run scans every so often, only download files from safe sites and only visit safe sites. The last bit might not be possible but I'm sure you know what I mean. The viruses I found on my computer at the weekend was after I had downloaded a few files and had been on sites I've never been on before so I'll be extra wary in future.

FatboySlim71 10:23 04 May 06

If the virus's are inbedded in JAVA, then the easist way I found was to uninstall JAVA, then scan again just to make sure they have gone, if they have, then just download JAVA again from their site and all should be OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…