Viruses and BIOS

staples printer cartridge 00:46 20 Jan 06

I have two questions, although one may become redundant dependant on the first.
So, I bought a couple of SATA drives on ebay a few months ago and tried to install them but ended up with a virus on them and removing them again. I have just installed them again, formatted and with a fresh Windows insatll and I have a virus after connecting to the internet long enough to downlaod AVG. Is it possible for a virus to remain on a drive even if it has been fornatted? Could the guy have sold me a pair of formatted dics with viruses on?

Secondly, with my IDE drives F8 would get me into BIOS at startup. Now I have my SATA drives set up as RAID 0 and an IDE drive as a slave for backup but it boots onto the IDE drive. When I try to enter BIOS (F8) to change the boot order all I get is the option to boot in a different order but not into the BIOS; I have to do this everytime I startup - any ideas how I get into BIOS to change the boot order?

DieSse 00:59 20 Jan 06

*Is it possible for a virus to remain on a drive even if it has been fornatted?*

Yes - a virus in the MBR (Master Boot Record) may not be removed by formatting.

To completely wipe a drive back to factory state, which will remove anything and everything, use the manufacturers *write to zeroes* or *pseudo low level format* routine. You'll find it on the manufacturers site - if you can't, post the name of the drive manufacturer.

Get someone else to download you an AV program - or get it off a magazine cover disk - to avoid the problem.

staples printer cartridge 01:11 20 Jan 06

Cheers DieSse,

I will try that. I have saved AVG on my iDE drive so I can run it before I connect next time - I still suspect it was already on there though. Can't remember manufacturer so I am going to open it up now and check.
Ian

staples printer cartridge 01:22 20 Jan 06

DieSse,
I have searched the knowledge base is this what I want?
click here*&p_li=&p_topview=1

DieSse 09:17 20 Jan 06

Yes - that's the way to do it from within windows. If you need to do it without windows, the links are there for that too. I presume you found it was a Western Digital drive.

staples printer cartridge 22:51 20 Jan 06

Thanks DieSse,
eventually found the correct one to use and it worked - sorted the BIOS as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…