virused to death

karl1483 15:40 19 May 04

i recantly tried to help out a friend whos computer was virused and spywared upto death.i think i have managed to deal with all the viruses,but am still experiancing problems.(continual blue screens of death and wont shut down says someting about a rundll32 missing)i used avg to clean it up and deleted all previous restore pionts(using win me) however i think in the process i may have inadvertantly deleted some registry files.the system he has came with a restore disk that does not work and the computer is a packard bell who dont supply customer suport anymore.how can i make sure i have defo removed all viruses and also restore any files i may have deleted.thanks

TomJerry 15:51 19 May 04

Backup everything first and then try sort the thing out for him. Why restore CD does not work? If cd key lost, you can find it out by run a small program on his machine providing the machine working. (Have you tried safe mode?, normally press F8 when boot up.)

As he still got MsWinME licence, you can install from your own OS disk if you happen to have one. Of course, you need to use his licence key.

By the way, why have you deleted all restore points. You would have a easy job if you have not done that.

karl1483 16:05 19 May 04

thanks tomjerry the restore disk is a floppy that is supplied. win me is preloaded so i presume it is only the win cabs file.i deleted all the restore pionts as i wanted to get rid of the viruses, this is what i have been told to do in the past.how can i restore missing win files with out the original windows cd.i wantedto run system file checker butcould do this as no originl disk

TomJerry 16:33 19 May 04

Windows installation files maybe on hard disk on a hidden partition. When you boot the system from floppy, it will activate that partition and run restore from there. This is the method used for a lot of big box shifters. I do not know how packard bell do it, but worth a try.

Just want to point out again, BACKUP files important/useful to your friend first because restore will wipe everything clean.

Djohn 17:46 19 May 04

TomJerry is correct. The floppy will give access to the hidden partition and you can restore to as new from there. Back up personal files and have drivers for any new items added since bought, Printer/Scanner etc.

karl1483 18:18 19 May 04

i have tried this with disks but the disks dont work,help any more suggestions

Valvegrid 19:21 19 May 04

Sorry I can't help too much with any suggestions, but what happens when you put the floppy in and switch the machine on? At least this will put your posting up-top again.

TommyRed 20:30 19 May 04

^

TomJerry 21:05 19 May 04

(1) Have you set up in bios to make the PC bootup from floppy first?

(2) A possible solution if restore floppy is dammaged. (a) ask around with people with the same machine for a copy, check manufacturer's website to see if you can "download" one. (b) Normal restore setup: there is a operating system loader in restore disk, when you boot up the OS loader will find working OSs, one of this is restore partition and boot from there. So, if you can generate a bootable floppy with OS loader, you have a working restore disk. If you know anyone with Partition Magic and Bootmagic, you can ask them to create a restore disk for you with either program. This is just a guesstimate, but it works for me. There are some free OS loader, but nothing come close to bootmagic.

karl1483 15:34 20 May 04

thanks for your help tomjerry did all you suggested and more still no joy going to format and install win xp once again ta

TomJerry 15:43 20 May 04

hope you sort it out. I know how unease it will be when you try to help a friend and things gone wrong.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…