Virus Woe's...

Pilch.... 22:22 13 Jan 03
  Pilch.... 22:22 13 Jan 03

A company my dad works for recently recieved a virus, which i think came from the local council's computer's.

Apparently it took down the local council's computers last week, and so as the company my dad works for is in constant contact with them electronically, has spread to the computers at the place in which he work's.

The virus which has got onto about 6 out of 8 computers has apparently filled the hard drives up, leaving them a problem, which i think may have been confused, that they wont boot.

I am unsure of what setup the company has (eg, OS, Spec's, Config of what is probably network) although the computers are about 18months old. I have offered my services to try and get the computers going again, just to try and make life easier, but i am unsure as to what virus this may be, and as to why a company that is growing this fast hasn't got any anti virus protection...

Any how..

If anyone knows of an idea of what this virus could be let me know, may give me an idea of what i could be facing......

VoG™ 22:29 13 Jan 03

Well give us a clue what does it do? (Lord Byron)

Pilch.... 22:46 13 Jan 03

I did explain that bit honest!

The virus which has got onto about 6 out of 8 computers has apparently filled the hard drives up, leaving them a problem, which i think may have been confused, that they wont boot.

PSF 22:48 13 Jan 03

I am not sure what the virus is but, do you have a copy of Norton Anti-Virus 2003? If you do, you can boot from the Nav2003 cd and there is an emergency scan program that will run and remove any viruses.

VoG™ 22:49 13 Jan 03

Sorry Pilch, you did. I have heard of this beastie and I'm racking my brains for you ..,.

VoG™ 23:11 13 Jan 03

Having done a search there are several viruses that can cause this behaviour. I can only suggest that on one of the infected machines you do an online scan at click here and/or click here

Pilch.... 23:13 13 Jan 03

but is registered in my name.... thus doubt if it would be legal to do so....

is it a case of just insert CD into the computer and run it that way? as the problem seems it wont boot apparently, which is why i said that i would go and have a look to get a better idea of what is going on

VoG™ dont go racking your brains to hard tonite!

PSF 23:30 13 Jan 03

The Nav3003 would not be installed on the pc it just scans and then removes the viruses. You are not installing it on the pc's.

You could buy another copy and charge it to them if you did not want to use your copy.

Have a look at you Nav2003 cd it tells you about removing viruses from infected pc's with no AV installed.

You have to set the pc to boot from cd drive first, it explains it all in the Nav manual.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…