Virus watching

spikeychris 12:14 05 Aug 03

I receive quite a few emails through the contact envelope and today I received a virus. Not having a go at the person who sent it these things happen :o) Thing is I received the mail this morning (it was sent last night) and I didn't have time to read it so I forwarded it to work. I use AVG and it didnt pick it up!

Opened it up at work at Norton Corporate grabbed it straight away. I am BANG up to date with AVG but it slipped under the net.

The virus is VBS. Haptime .A @ mm (split up as it will form a link) and the removal tool is click here (wait and the link will open)

Again not having a pop at the person who sent it...especially seeing as my machine missed it.

Chris

Jester2K II 12:17 05 Aug 03

Forward a copy of it, zipped inside a zip file with the password "infected" to Grisoft and ask why, why, why....

Jester2K II 12:18 05 Aug 03

VBS/Haptime-A is a worm that spreads via Outlook Express version 5.0. It attempts to infect files with the extensions VBS, HTML, HTM, HTT and ASP.

It will also attempt to delete EXE and DLL files when the month plus the day are equal to 13 (for instance, June the 7th).

Today is the 5th of August - 5 + 8 = 13....

Perhaps this was more malicous than first thought?? :-((((

spikeychris 12:25 05 Aug 03

Yeah and even though its gone now and NAV got it, it did alter the desktop on the server and all the icons dissapeared. 6 clients all sycronised and lost Internet connection as well as loosing paths to all stored files.

Jester2K II 12:29 05 Aug 03

Perhaps a word with the FE?

ASP files - ASP Server?? Excuse my ignoranmce but networking and servers are my weak point....

Big Elf 12:38 05 Aug 03

Worryingly I can't find any references to it in the Grisoft Virus Encyclopeadia nor on their site but I note that the worm was released a few years ago.

Mango Grummit 12:46 05 Aug 03

So many people have said "I've used AVG for yonks and never been infected."

I used to use it and thought the same until I put an infected disc on another machine that picked it up straight away (PC-Cillin). I posted about it at the time and several others have had a similar experience since.

If your setup and the files on it are only scanned by AVG there is no way of knowing if you are infected or not. I accept that AVG is most probably not alone in this.

VoG II 12:53 05 Aug 03

How can a virus be sent via the contact envelope?

DieSse 13:10 05 Aug 03

Just a bit of information - VBS. Haptime .A @ mm is in the Wild List click here

Quote from the NOD32 web site click here

--------------------------------------------

(from the) Virus Bulletin August 2003

Since May 1998, NOD32 remains the only antivirus in the world not to have missed any 'In the Wild' (ItW) virus in the prestigious tests of the international publication on computer virus prevention, recognition and removal, the Virus Bulletin.
The July tests of the Virus Bulletin performed on NetWare 6.0 platform have confirmed top virus detection capability of NOD32 system combined with the highest scanning rate.
NOD32 was the only product (out of 11 tested) with 100% detection across all the test sets. The second fastest product required more than twice the time to scan the executable files and it missed 35 polymorphic virus samples.

-----------------------------------------------

Yes - I know it's their site, but it's no less true because of that

snoresloudly 13:51 05 Aug 03

I was wondering about that as well.

spikeychris 14:06 05 Aug 03

VoG, yep your right. The mail came from a personal account, the conversation started with the envelope.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…