VIRUS w32.spacefiller

joe95 14:54 27 Apr 05

My wifes PC Win98se had crashed yesterday have recovered it but on starting up the above virus warning came up.The Pc ic 7yrs old and the last disc I used is at least 3yrs.I have checked this disc on my PC using AVG and it was there. PC is completely locked and is never on the internet no connection so I can't do anything with it.Any help much appreciated.

joe95 15:48 27 Apr 05

Alan H E 16:47 27 Apr 05

Have you got PCA cover disc try running Spybot & any other spyware prog. - might do the trick.

joe95 19:09 27 Apr 05

Alan H E
I can't get into the PC is locked with warning on the screen.

Jak_1 20:21 27 Apr 05

Sugest putting in a second drive with an os on, make this the master drive and configure the jumper to slave on the old drive. Then bootup, in safe mode and scan the drive with an up to date AV.

Hopefuly this should sort things out.

gudgulf 20:29 27 Apr 05

click here

I don't like the look of this at all!. If what you have is indeed "spacefiller" it looks like a very serious virus .Can you access the BIOS and what exactly does the warning screen say.

"The Pc ic 7yrs old and the last disc I used is at least 3yrs.I have checked this disc on my PC using AVG and it was there."

Can you explain what you mean by this please?

joe95 21:57 27 Apr 05

my wifes PC is 7yrs old when she switched on yesterday got warning no OS, recovered with recovery disc,then installed Win98plus which had been on for 2yrsafter that restarted and got virus warning have checked W98plus disc and there is the virus.

Jak_1 22:06 27 Apr 05

Is the win98 a legit MS manufactured disk or is it a copy? If it is a legit one then I doubt there would be a virus on it.

gudgulf 22:11 27 Apr 05

Can you get the recovery disc to run again in the infected pc?.If you can restore Win98 but don't put Win98plus on this time.Which Antivirus scanner did you use to check the Win98plus disc? And is it a genuine Microsoft disc?.It seems a bit odd that a genuine disc would carry such a nasty payload.By the way did you read through the link I gave you?.That suggests that when activated the W32.spacefiller virus attemps to erase your BIOS if it can access it(luckily this seems not to be the case on your wife's pc) and destroys the master boot record and many other files....basically it wipes out your system.That might be why you got a No OS detected message.

stalion 22:31 27 Apr 05
  gudgulf 22:46 27 Apr 05

They don't make viruses like they used to!

Thankfully..............What a nasty thing to find on your pc!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…