Virus W32.sober

MoiraB 10:33 18 Dec 04

Three times in the last 24 hours Norton has identified a virus in an email called "[email protected]!enc". Each time it appears to come from a different source but not one that I recognise. If I knew it was coming from someone I knew I'd let them know. Anyone know anything about it?

spanneress 10:36 18 Dec 04

click here

That's about the best removal tool you can get.

MoiraB 10:44 18 Dec 04

Norton Anti-Virus deletes it each time and I've run a full check afterwards but it seems to come in again in another email.

spanneress 10:48 18 Dec 04

They reproduce by infecting other peoples address books. If you know the sender, drop them a line and let them know they are infected. If they are anonymous - then relax and let Norton do it's job. It's when your AV doesn't identify them and they infect your machine you need to worry!

You can set up a spam filter in your mail box (depending on which mail service you are using - OE, hotmail etc ) which can block anonymous senders from reaching you. Ther should be a built in function on your mail providor, else try this one click here

VoG II 10:49 18 Dec 04
  VoG II 10:50 18 Dec 04
  spanneress 10:52 18 Dec 04

Aha - Sensei VoG has risen..good morning. I see my work here is done and bow out gracefully to the master.

(",)

MoiraB 10:53 18 Dec 04

As I said, each time it comes from a different source and not one that I recognise.

VoG II 10:54 18 Dec 04

I don't know about "the master". I can't even get a "click here" right!

spanneress 10:54 18 Dec 04

Which mail service are you using?

VoG II 10:55 18 Dec 04

It "spoofs" the sender's address. As spanneress said, just let Norton deal with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch