Virus W32.sober

MoiraB 10:33 18 Dec 04

Three times in the last 24 hours Norton has identified a virus in an email called "[email protected]!enc". Each time it appears to come from a different source but not one that I recognise. If I knew it was coming from someone I knew I'd let them know. Anyone know anything about it?

spanneress 10:36 18 Dec 04

click here

That's about the best removal tool you can get.

MoiraB 10:44 18 Dec 04

Norton Anti-Virus deletes it each time and I've run a full check afterwards but it seems to come in again in another email.

spanneress 10:48 18 Dec 04

They reproduce by infecting other peoples address books. If you know the sender, drop them a line and let them know they are infected. If they are anonymous - then relax and let Norton do it's job. It's when your AV doesn't identify them and they infect your machine you need to worry!

You can set up a spam filter in your mail box (depending on which mail service you are using - OE, hotmail etc ) which can block anonymous senders from reaching you. Ther should be a built in function on your mail providor, else try this one click here

VoG II 10:49 18 Dec 04
  VoG II 10:50 18 Dec 04
  spanneress 10:52 18 Dec 04

Aha - Sensei VoG has risen..good morning. I see my work here is done and bow out gracefully to the master.

(",)

MoiraB 10:53 18 Dec 04

As I said, each time it comes from a different source and not one that I recognise.

VoG II 10:54 18 Dec 04

I don't know about "the master". I can't even get a "click here" right!

spanneress 10:54 18 Dec 04

Which mail service are you using?

VoG II 10:55 18 Dec 04

It "spoofs" the sender's address. As spanneress said, just let Norton deal with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…