Virus - Trojan.DNSChanger-Codec

harleyd 15:32 17 Jan 09

It seems I've picked up a virus - Trojan.DNSChanger-Codec which I seem unable to get rid of. Superantispyware picks it up, deletes it, but when I reboot its back again. I'm also running/tried AVG, A-Squared, Trojan Hunter & various others, all to no avail. Any help would be great

brundle 16:17 17 Jan 09

Download Malwarebytes click here , install and update. Update Superantispyware. Reboot in safe mode. Run full scans with both.

For Safe Mode hit F8 repeatedly as the PC starts, before you see the Windows logo, choose Safe Mode from the menu (not Safe Mode with Networking).

Terry Brown 16:19 17 Jan 09

Have you tried closing the system restore,as it may be hiding there, most virus checkers do not check this area.

If you have a XP CD put it in the drive, go to RUN and enter sfc /scannow, this will check all your system files and restore to the original location.

Restart in Safe Mode, Run Defrag
While in safe mode run your virus program.
If that does not cure it, you have a major problem.
Terry

T0SH 22:04 18 Jan 09

Use a known clean PC to go online and change any Hotmail account passwords you may have,

Hotmail password theft seems to be main thing that DNSChanger goes for it uses your e-mail address book and send odd e-mails with links to a Chinese electronic equipment web site but that is not to say that`s all it can be made to do

Best way to get alerted to a further infection is to set up one contact with a dummy non existent e-mail address this way you will be alerted by a failed delivery bounce back and have a chance to alert others on your mail list to ignore the odd messages

Cheers HC

harleyd 07:46 19 Jan 09

Hi All. Just to let you know that I've managed to nail it! (fingers crossed) with the information/assistance you kindly offered. Many thanks. Rgds. harleyd

wotbus@ 08:57 20 Jan 09

Would you mind explaining how you got rid of it please. I am trying to remove it from a friends PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now