VIRUS THREAT FROM AVG - Avast!!!!!!

HPP 20:48 25 Feb 06

Please, please help. I have been telling my dad how brilliant this website and forum is, everyone is so knowledgable is - its fantastic! I was reading a couple of threads regarding anti-virus programms etc and what you rate etc. My dad is running ME and has got just the AVG running, however, i told him about another rated programme called 'Avast'. When my dad installed this avast onto the pc, after recieving an email from them with the license key - AVG Resident Shield box immediately appeared, saying the following' While opening file: C:/WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HHCTRL.OCX' infected with a virus etc,,,,, It would not let me then use any of the options to get rid of the virus! Real direstraits here - my dad is'nt talking to me now, please could someone advise me on how to irradicate this thing! PS when trying to heal etc it says that the file is denied! Therefore we are unable to tackle it! Have tried to uninstall avast - did successfully, will not let me get rid of the files left within the programme files - as it says that they are still in use???

Please, please would somebody help, many, many thanks in advance!!!

bremner 20:52 25 Feb 06

HHCtrl.ocx is a Windows file to do with HTML help control click here

Your problem was installing one AV product whilst another was running.

ME has System Restore. Use this to go back before you installed Avast. Then delete AVG and only then install Avast.

HPP 21:00 25 Feb 06

Hi, bremner, thanx for that hasty responce. Do i have to gat rid of that file using WINTASKS? Why has it come up as a virus if it is just conflict between the AVG and AVAST? Or am i sounding really dim?

Thanx again, once again this forum is brill.

My dad just wants to use avg from now on, so do i get rid of the HHCTRL.OCX , and uninstall avast?

stalion 21:03 25 Feb 06

do a system restore to a date prior to installing avast as bremner has advised this should get rid of avast and leave avg intact

HPP 21:04 25 Feb 06

Thanx to you both - will try that now.

bremner 21:04 25 Feb 06

At this time I would just do a sytem restore, then run AVG and see what it says. It seems likely that this is just a conflict but it is best to be sure

Jackcoms 21:29 25 Feb 06

A word of advice.

NEVER run 2 AV programs at the same time - they will clash with each - as you've now found out.

ade.h 21:41 25 Feb 06

Even running an online AV scan with an existing AV installed locally is often enough to throw up alerts when the online scan falsely interprets the definition database as a whole bunch of viruses.

Anti-malware; now, you can have as many of those as you like. Your Dad does have a couple of anti-malware scanners, I hope.....

HPP 17:09 09 Mar 06

Since this problem has occurred, avast has been fully removed. My dad has not since been able to run a system restore function? Message appears sayiny to restart the pc before system restore can run - this appears even after the pc has been rebooted. Is there no other alternative to fix the problem (HHCtrl.ocx)without paying for wintasks?

All advice is more than appreciated, as always! :-)

ade.h 17:38 09 Mar 06

Try this:

Disable Sys Restore on all drives, reboot, run Windows in that state, do a cleanup. Re-enable Sys Restore on your preferred drives, reboot.

Might work.

HPP 17:51 09 Mar 06

Have tried that one - did not work unfortuneately?
Really stuck as to what to do? The only way in which i have found it to work is if i run 'msconfig - use selective start up, untick everything - reboot, then run msconfig again and selct the option to run system restore from there! - However, all of the previous back up dates have all disappeared! Which is what we needed!

Any other suggestions - except for formatting the hard drive - my dad really didnt want to do that - although that one is looking more and more predictable!

:-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…