A Virus in "System Volume Information".

WrathMaster2 01:12 13 Aug 04

I have a Virus, it resides in a folder called "Sytem Volume Information" and is a Trojan.
I am running XP SP1.........can anyone help me out?
This Virus seems to be detected by my Virus checker once every half an hour or so. Each time I delete it, it comes back as a slightly differen file name with lots of numbers in.

dagwoood 01:41 13 Aug 04

WrathMaster2, when you have done a virus scan and deleted the virus, have you turned off system restore?

If I remember correctly, system volume information is the hidden system folder where your restore point data is held. If the virus is in there, anti-virus s/w wont be able to delete it as it's a system protected folder.

From advice given on this forum(and elsewhere),if your anti-virus s/w does find a virus, you should turn off your system restore function to make sure the virus is removed totally as, as it looks like with your system, the virus can lodge in your restore point data.

Hope this helps, dagwoood.

Chegs ® 04:01 13 Aug 04

Just to clarify the above,turn off "System Restore" Windows will ask if your sure,click yes.Then run your AntiVirus program,delete anything it finds,then switch your "System Restore" back on.

dagwoood 04:29 13 Aug 04

Thanks for making my post less ambiguous. I get carried away sometimes with the amount of info.I provide :0)

Cheers, dagwoood.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…