virus and system restore

highside 16:31 08 Jan 07

Help please, my NTL Net guard reported 3 virus and it deleted them, as far as I now my PC is running OK and I have run antivirus scan twice with no more reported viruses. (no attachments were opened, no suspect emails but I think I tried to download the google toolbar from what seemed to be a suspect site, althogh I cancelled the action as soon as I became suspicious)
What else can I do, seem to remember reading that System Restore should be turned off and on after a virus has been found ????
If this is so is that all I do - turn it on and off?. Will it create a new point automatically when it is turned on again?
Windows XP/SP2 .
Many thanks.

skidzy 16:45 08 Jan 07

Turning off System Restore is the last thing you should try.
However,if your system has been cleaned of the viruses and runs ok,leave SR alone for now.

Check your recycle bin is empty and reboot the pc.
If in any doubt,run your av in safemode (F8 on startup).

Google Toolbar for IE (safe Download) click here

highside 17:03 08 Jan 07

What if it were a trojan what is the procedure.?
Dont seem to have a problem as such but the last time it happened I had my broadband connector disconnected ie offline?
?

skidzy 17:16 08 Jan 07

"What if it were a trojan what is the procedure.?"

Your AV should have dealt with it,end of story.

For a piece of mind run Asquared click here if Net Guard says it has dealt with them and they reappear on bootup,they are probably lodged in a restore point or the recycle bin..therefore reinventing itself.

However this is a topic (system restore and virus in a restore point) that some disagree with.

If you are sure you do not need any restore points,then i guess it will make no difference to you if you lose them all by disabling SR.Though its always handy to have the option availble.

If you disable SR,reboot and the enable SR again....you will lose all SR points.

highside 14:40 10 Jan 07

skidzy, Thanks for your help, I had to eventually shutdown and restart System Restore and this cleared the problem which was a W32/Trogan.IGD.
(I tried using spyware programs but my AV just kept re- reporting the virus and deleting infections.
Incidently my System restore would not work anyway, it would not restore to any points in its calender but guess thats another story.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced