A virus is stoping my antivirus from working

DrLector 11:04 30 Apr 06

i think iv pucked up a virus ,my nortan anti virus and fire wall have turnd themselfs off and iv lost the icon at the bottom off the screen, iv gone into norton and tryed to turn them on but that wont do it i click enable but nothing happens, iv run a scan and it comes up claer, iv allso run a scan with AVG witch comes up clear i allso can update AVG , its also stoped my emails from opening and i cant open up my e-bay account ???
im running on XP
Any idear
thanks.
ps iv allso tred virus scaning in safe mode but its the same again no virus found ??

gudgulf 11:11 30 Apr 06

It's probably Norton tripping over its own feet....as it is prone to do.

Try uninstalling Norton completely.

See if you can now access your emails/web correctly.

If so either reinstall Norton and run all the updates again.....or, as I have done myself and many other forum members too try the many freeware alternatives available.

I'm currently running Avasr av and Sunbelt/Kerio firewall with no problems to date.

961 13:30 30 Apr 06

Try an on line scan

You can also download a cleaner from Trend or Sohos or similar and run via safe mode command prompt

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:58 30 Apr 06

You should not be trying to run two antivirus system together (norton and AVG) they will clash.

Uninstall NORTON and try the online scans

Antivirus on line checks:-
Panda click here
Trend Online Check click here
symantec click here
Kaspersky click here
McAfee click here
Bitdefender click here
RaAntivirus click here
3.CA click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…