Virus in spam?

Peter-203494 21:50 04 Apr 04

As a matter of course I have been deleting spam for fear of them containing virus's. Is this a correct assumption or is the danger only contained in an attachmen?

Any help please

cycoze 22:57 04 Apr 04

Your assumption is correct , spam can contain viruses , whats more not all viruses have attachments ! W32.Beagle/BAGLE being one of the most recent .

Good Practice is turn off the Preview pane and to accept plain text emails rather than HTML , Delete all your spam .

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:40 04 Apr 04

Unless you execute an attachment a virus will not work.....

G

cycoze 16:19 05 Apr 04

The vast majority of Viruses have to be executed as an attachment , but not all !

As i said above W32.Beagle/BAGLE being the most recent and notable , There is no attachment ! see click here , "W32/Bagle-Q spreads via a "carrier" email which does not contain the worm as an attachment." from click here , "HTML message attempts to retrieve the worm from another machine through HTTP" from click here (similar to how spammers know you have looked at the mail).

This exploit can be patched if using MS software see click here , uptodate AntiVirus is also a must.

Viruses can also be picked up from infected web pages as can spyware , adware and dialers , prevention is better than cure , keep uptodate with AntiVirus and Patches for your browsers.

anon1 17:14 05 Apr 04

GANDALF <|:-)> I though you were an experienced user. I am very surpised you made that statement. If the preview pane is open then a script can run and trigger a virus just the same as opening an attachment. Consider yourse;f slapped. :-)

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:36 05 Apr 04

errrrm.... having the preview pane open is executing the programme and or attachment as it has to run to be seen in the pane ;-)))

G

anon1 18:21 05 Apr 04

Not quite, attchments do not automatically open in the preview pane. The reason for disabling it is primarily to stop scripts from running. I have in the past (oh the good old days) seen attachments in the preview pane and they did not open unless I opened them. The point was quote "Unless you execute an attachment a virus will not work....." which is not correct.

Peter-203494 19:51 05 Apr 04

Many thanks for the responses

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…