virus software slowing down word

rosie12 11:09 24 Jan 06

Hi, I have noticed that when I am using word, it is slow to pull up a new document sometimes, Is this because of my virus software? I though at first that I may have caught a virus because it can be really slow at times, but I ran my avg program and it is not showing that there are any viruses.....Thanks

SANTOS7 11:16 24 Jan 06

click here
click here
first link taken from second it may help,good luck...

rosie12 12:17 24 Jan 06

Hi, Thanks for your help....I have disabled the virus software and found out that it isnt that which is the problem. Therefore it is word itself. I have only just installed Office 2003, I used to use Office 2000 and had no trouble at all, do you think that I should uninstall Office 2003 and go back to 2000 ?.....Its driving me nuts it so slow sometimes.....Thanks

GroupFC 12:41 24 Jan 06

Sometimes the word template can become corrupted and this may cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

If you do a search for normal.dot and rename it to say normal.old and then open word a new normal.dot file will be created and this may cure your problem. You will of course lose any changes you have made to the template.

HTH.

rosie12 13:07 24 Jan 06

Hi, Thanks for your answer. I am not very computer literate but, do you mean for me to just hit the search button from the start menu and then type in .dot and see if any word documents appear? Thanks

GroupFC 13:42 24 Jan 06

You don't say what operating system you are using - but yes that's the general idea (you might need make sure that you search system and hidden files and folders).

Once you have found the file, just right click on it and you should get the option to rename it.

rosie12 14:24 24 Jan 06

OK I have run the searcg facility, I am running xp home by the way. It is showing 7 files in the search resuls window, one sais "business fax" one sais "personal fax" and so on I have never even used these things? the icons look like a word document but with a brown top?....any ideas what I dso now?.....

rosie12 14:28 24 Jan 06

Hi, I have just done another search and a couple more documents have come up, one of them is called normal.....Is this the one that I am supposed to change?

rosie12 14:30 24 Jan 06

I meant to say I have done another search with hidden files clicked????

GroupFC 14:46 24 Jan 06

OK I have just done a search and have come up with loads of files with the .dot extension. The one that needs to be renamed is the Normal.dot file. This should be located at c:\Documents and settings\Name\application Data\Microsoft\templates.

if you are worried about it and this doesn't work you can always change it back again.

rosie12 19:01 24 Jan 06

Hi, I have now done what you said and will see if it works, thank you so much for your trouble, I will get back to you in 15 mins or so....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant