virus sent to me but from who

willhay 22:16 14 Jul 03

I keep getting an email asking me to install a "I love you" screen saver, bt it is a virus . I cannot send it back as it has no address from the sender, how do I find the originator

akzah 22:21 14 Jul 03

Don't worry about the originator, he could be someone you know or some one who you sent you a email long ago or he sent you.

Just keep the virus scanner updated be calm.

jazzypop 22:26 14 Jul 03

As your virus killer correctly identifies it as a virus (and presumably quarantines the virus), open the email and choose View > Header (or Properties).

There is a slim chance that you will recognise the originator's email address, and they may not know that they have a virus which is automatically forwarding itself to people in their address book. If so, politely contact them and inform them.

It is far more likely that you will not recognise the sender. In this case, it is probably a fake sender's address, so don't waste any effort trying to track them down or report them.

Just be grateful that you have an up-to-date virus killer that is doing it's job.

Jester2K II 22:31 14 Jul 03

Even if you do recognise it, it may not be address it was from.

Some virii can spoof (fake) the senders address from your address book.

Alice gets a virus. Bobs email address is in Alice's Address book. The virus sends itself to Dave but uses Bobs email address as the from address.

Dave thinks its come from Bob but its actually come from Alice.

woodchip 22:32 14 Jul 03

Get mail-washer you can then bounce them, also delete them on the server

The Spires 22:48 14 Jul 03

Opening any attachment is risky, even if it's from someone you know as you could still end up with a virus that was sent without their knowledge. Opening an attachment from someone you don't know is a sure-fire way to become infected, on this occasion your anti-virus program recognised the threat but that may not always be the case in future.

willhay 22:52 14 Jul 03

just installed mail washer

woodchip 23:00 14 Jul 03

In mailWasher you can double click to preview the mail it cannot infect your computer as it's on the server until you tell it otherwise, in other words process mail and it deletes or downloads depending what you have done with the box's

Danoh 00:24 15 Jul 03

If you still have the original email, you can find the emails Internet Headers which will give you the IP addresses used to deliver that email to you, and specifically the IP address used by the sender.

Matching this to an individual is another challenge. But its likely to be a friend's PC which has got infected as he/she has your email address logged in their email address book.

By checking the internet headers of emails received from friends, you can track down whose PC is infected.

Together with a circle of friends, we managed to track down 3 PCs which were infected by viruses that spoofs the senders email address, successfully.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…