Virus scanning in MSN Messenger

Jackcoms 20:53 12 Apr 06

I recently un-installed Norton AV and replaced it with Avast AV.

I've just noticed in MSN Messenger, under 'File Transfer; scan files for viruses using ...' that it's still pointing to Symantec/Norton - a path which no longer exists!

I THINK that the path I now need in order for MSN Messenger to use Avast for virus scanning is C:/Program Files/Alwil Software/Avast4/AshSimpl.

Can anybody confirm this, please?

Jackcoms 07:22 13 Apr 06

bump

jimv7 11:51 13 Apr 06

Open tools/options/files transfer from within messenger, browse for the avast anti virus, click ok and remember to put a tick in the box for 'scan for virus's using'

Jackcoms 17:13 13 Apr 06

Thanks for your response - but it's not as simple as that. Please read my post again.

Having browsed to Avast, I'm then presented with a myriad possible files which could launch Avast.

I MAY have answered my own question, but would still welcome confirmation from other Forum members that I've found the correct path.

anskyber 17:33 13 Apr 06

Sorry if this is well off the target. I had exactly the same problem but when I changed to ZoneAlarm (from Norton) the new programme gave me the oportunity to use it to scan Messenger. Have you looked at Avast options to see if will do the same?

Jackcoms 18:09 13 Apr 06

Yes, Avast does scan 16 instant messaging programs, including MSN.

Nevertheless, being a sort of 'belt and braces' type of person I still want to point MSN at Avast! ;-)

VoG II 19:02 13 Apr 06

I think you're right click here

Jackcoms 21:17 13 Apr 06

Thanks, useful link.

That seems to have confirmed my theory! :-)

anskyber 22:47 13 Apr 06

Can you help me here in terms of what you then did with VoG™ 's advice?

Jackcoms 07:16 14 Apr 06

It seemed to confirm to me that the path I gave in my original post of 12 April at 20:53 is the correct path to use in MSN Messenger for the .exe file which will launch Avast to virus scan any files that my 2 teenage daughters may download when using MSN Messenger!!

Jackcoms 07:19 14 Apr 06

I should have added that my daughters have been given strict instructions NOT to download files that they're unsure about without at least first checking with me!!

But you never know .... ;-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…