Virus removal on XP pro

Robert-328012 16:45 29 Oct 03

>I have Trojan virus identified as BackDoor-Sub7.svr active on my sysytem. It is not
>cleaned or removed by my McAfee Antivirus software.
>It is attached to a file edit.server.exe in a programme folder.
>The instructions suggested by McAfee require an expert in registry access and are
>not for the faint hearted!!!
>Can any one please give me some simple, easy to follow, instructions to remove the
>virus or remove the file itself. I am aware that their will be a copy lurking in
>restore as well.
>PLease help
>Thanks. Robert

VoG II 16:51 29 Oct 03

click here scroll down to Removal Instructions and get the UNDO.REG file.

rawprawn 17:00 29 Oct 03

Go to start/run type regedit then highlight my computer click on edit select find, type the exact file edit.server.exe click find next. Delete any highligted item found if it is the file you are looking for. Cick find next & do the same thing and so on until the end. Make sure you backup the registry to a CD or floppy before you start in case of accidents.DO NOT touch anything else in the registry only the file you are trying to get rid of & turn off system restore before you start or it may put the file back. I hope that is plain enough.

rawprawn 17:03 29 Oct 03

I have just seen Vog's link, I would try that first as they are the experts.

Robert-328012 19:40 29 Oct 03

Rawprawn cure doesn't work. Even though I deleted two files from registry enteries and restore followed.
Reagrding Vog's link. Unless you have a computer degree this is not at all easy to follow and therefore would be dangerous to carry out unless someone can interpret it for me please.
Thanks Robert

VoG II 22:39 29 Oct 03

If you scroll down to where I told you, you will find a download file UNDO.REG.

Download it then double click it - this will make all the changes to the registry. It was written by experts.

Is it dangerous to edit a Word file? - I don't think so. It is not dangerous to edit the registry either, provided that you make a backup first then follow the instructions to the letter. Even less dangerous to use a registry repair tool.

Sorry but I do not understand this attitude. Do you really want to keep this virus?

The Spires 01:18 30 Oct 03

click here Might help you, free for a month.

rawprawn 10:55 30 Oct 03

I'm sorry my solution didn't work, but follow Vog's last post & I'm sure you will solve your problem. You should try not to get overawed by some of the instructions. Print them out first, then take a deep breath & follow them word by word, believe me it's easier than you think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…