Virus removal

bamfiesler 01:08 30 Dec 03

I am running AVG Free Edition as virus checker.Within the last three days, I have been getting a warning from AVG's Resident Shield stating that the folder 'System Information' is infected withe the Lovsan virus, and asks me to run AVG to remove it. Which I do, but the scan reports no virii at all!

I'm really at a loss what to do: what is the point of having a virus removal tool that first identifies a virus, then can't find or remove it?

Thanx to all who respond.

Djohn 01:29 30 Dec 03

Try AVG again but disable "System restore". This is probably why you can not delete it. If that fails then download "Stinger" from here. click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 01:29 30 Dec 03

It is probably in the system restore folder as I assume that you are using XP. AVG is an excellent tool but, like all the other AV's, it cannot delete from system restore. Go to start..accessories...system tools.... click the system restore tab and disable it.Reboot your computer, rescan and then turn system restore back on creating a restore point. (NB by turning off sys. restore and rebooting you will lose all your restore points). You could also go to the AVG virus vault and delete anything in there.

G

Terrahawk 01:35 30 Dec 03

To get rid of blaster/Lovsan

Download stinger click here
Download Microsoft patch click here

Turn off system restore ME & XP
Control panel / System / System restore tab/ check box

Apply the Microsoft patch then run stinger. When clean turn system restore back on

And that should cure the problem

bamfiesler 01:41 30 Dec 03

Thanx guys. I will post back in a.m.

I would lose ALL sysrestore points? even the initial one?

bamfiesler 01:42 30 Dec 03

Other annoying thing is: I update AVG EVERY day, so how did this thing get past it?

Djohn 01:51 30 Dec 03

Have you loaded anything from a CD or floppy to your system without running a manual check on it?

GANDALF <|:-)> 02:00 30 Dec 03

'I would lose ALL sysrestore points? even the initial one?'.......yes. You HAVE to delete all restore points, probably a good idea to get rid of them if your computer is running OK and start afresh.

'I update AVG EVERY day, so how did this thing get past it'....it takes a short amount of time for all AV companies to update their records during which you are exposed. Blaster was a particularly virulent one and evaded many AV's as it spread so quickly. If it is any consolation, an American oil drilling Co. that I do some work for was crippled by Blaster, in spite of having hardware firewalls and Government standard AV protection.;-)))) They were not best pleased. The patch from Billy Gates will prevent any further infections.

G

bamfiesler 10:19 30 Dec 03

Hi, Guys!

Ok, turned off sysrestore, rebooted an ran AVG - absolutely nixi, but I haven't seen the alert message this a.m.

I will try Stinger, and post back.

Thank you all for assistance; I have been helped more times myself on this site than I have helped other posters, so thank you all:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…