Virus removal

Garb 12:20 06 Dec 03

Have just had 2 viruses detected by AVG
Bereb.A and win32 Parite whilst downloading
Both were supposedly removed by the anti virus but reappeared on re booting. Also said that there were 5 files in the C:\windows\sysdll folder that were infected.
Let the AVG deal with these but they reappeared even after I had disabled the restore function in Win XP.
Went into safe mode and deleted these files but was unable to run AVG in safe mode for some reason.
Rebooted and ran AVG in windows, and this time it said all 421 files in the windows\sysdll folder were infected. It removed all of them and on running AVG again 3 times I seem to be all clear.

Question: What do the files in windows\sysdll do and should I be expecting some applications to stop working properly now?

Could not find either of these viruses on the Norton or Network Associates sites.

Jester2K II 12:32 06 Dec 03

I'm running XP and have no sysdll folder.

According to Sophos Bereb creates these file s click here
"making sure that the Windows\sysdll folder created by the worm " so it looks like its not needed.

Parite - click here

VoG II 12:34 06 Dec 03

bereb click here

parite click here

Garb 13:08 06 Dec 03

Thanks to Jester2k 11 and VoG.

Didn't follow the instructions as advised in Sophos site for removal as AVG seems to have done it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…