Virus reinfection

sil_ver 12:44 11 Sep 03

I've just taken the step of reformatting and reinstalling W2K after being infected by the msblast.d worm (nachi) You may think reformatting a bit over the top but it was an excuse to reorganise my drives. In any case I was getting conflicting reports from 3 different anti virus progs. To cut to the chase, my firewall (sygate) keeps asking to allow ntoskrnl.exe to access the net and as the dllhost.exe was the cause of my original problems I was wondering whether to let ntoskrnl.exe thru' as it may be to do with windows update?.. In case anyone gets in a panic reading this, dllhost.exe should only be about 6kb, anything bigger is probably a virus.

Jester2K II 12:50 11 Sep 03

1) Have you installed the Patch from MS to stop these RCPSS viruses?

2) Have you got up to date AV on your System yet?

If not get both now

Patch click here

Free AV - click here

Also Stinger click here Standalone AV tool detects Top 30 viruses

sil_ver 13:10 11 Sep 03

Yes to everything, but as you will understand, all these aids were in position before the infection, unfortunately it all fails if you make the decision to allow - stupidly, in my case - something thru' your firewall. My question was, can I safely let ntoskrnl.exe thru'?

Jester2K II 13:12 11 Sep 03

Well I don't and don't suffer.

Other will say you need to let it have access.

Block it and it you have problems unblock it.

sil_ver 18:47 11 Sep 03

As ever - the voice of reason prevales :-)

Jester2K II 18:50 11 Sep 03

Sorry it's one of those Non-Answers but I blocked it and have no problems. There are warnings on other websites that it'll stop this that and the other.

I would block it and then see how it (if at all) affects you.

sil_ver 18:55 11 Sep 03

Sorry I meant prevails. I wasn't being sarky at your reply Jester. I think it's good advice so will give it a go.

Jester2K II 18:58 11 Sep 03

Thats OK - didn't think you were - just clearing my explanation..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…