Virus question

igk 14:49 PM 13 May 11

I'm not exactly a newbie at computers but there is no forum for M$ xp. I have a pc that has had a virus this was (as far as I know) now been sorted using MSE,Avg and Malwarebytes,the only problem I'm having is that it refuses to get any security updates from M$ stating that the site is down,well I have another XP machine that has just got it's updates with no problem and my question is can a virus block this and apart from a complete reformat and new XP is there any way to sort this out? Thanks for your time in advance...

bremner 17:15 PM 13 May 11

If you have AVG and MSE that may be the problem.

You should never have 2 AV's running at the same time.

igk 19:36 PM 13 May 11

Thanks for your reply,I have used both together on other XP machines with no problem, other than the pc refusing to go to M$ XP update site all else works as it should...

johndrew 20:39 PM 13 May 11

Very unwise to run two AVs together. They generally search each other and lock the PC up. Just because you were lucky with the two running together at a given point doesn't mean that an update to one or both wont result in a lock up.

I suggest you uninstall one then try your updates.

wee eddie 22:36 PM 13 May 11

Of course you may not have had a Virus. Your first AV may have seen the second AV as a Virus.

Chose one of the other. 2 AV's on a PC is asking for trouble.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED