Virus problems blaster/welchia

Van diesel 20:06 22 Sep 03

Following a recent hol I logged on to get my E-mails and although I run Norton av the definitions were out of date and before they updated I had a visit from Blaster and welchia. My firewall wasn't up and running either so pretty poor performance on my behalf and I hold my head in shame. I got hold of stinger (which detected & deleted another virus-cant remember name) and fixes for the worms but have problems with both DVD drives. I get a Code 19 error that says " windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged" Help

pinka 20:36 22 Sep 03

ive never come across this but i noticed you have no posts so ill tell you what i would do . its upto you if you try it now or what as a last resort .
remove and uninstall your drives (device manager), reboot and go into bios and remove from list (unless on auto detect) load windows . then reboot and reinstall drives . and hopefully it will sort it .

MAJ 20:47 22 Sep 03

See if this helps, Van diesel. click here

xania 20:52 22 Sep 03

Blaster can be made in-effective by downloading the appropraite security patch from MS, and you then need to use the correct removal tool to complete the process. I don't know of it impacting the way you describe.

Welchia I don't know but click here

johnnyrocker 08:24 23 Sep 03

as blaster was designed to attack xp and 2000 machines you will (if using xp) need to disable system restore before carrying out cleansing as it logs a file in there so it can return on re boot.

chees.
johnny.

Van diesel 22:50 23 Sep 03

Thanks for the help guys, I forgot to mention I'm running XP. I did download the MS patch and also tried uninstalling the drives but when windows detects the new hardware the problems still there but I will work through your tips and let you know what works.

alan 2273 23:17 23 Sep 03

Try this site click here

Van diesel 18:39 28 Sep 03

Thanks, for all the help. In the end it needed a trip via one of the links and it was a registry editor that did the trick. My drives are working now albeit I think my PC is still a bit grumpy with me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…