virus problem help. (in local newspaper)

shauny36 12:38 08 Jan 06

have benn asked by a friend to sort his computer out as it looks as though its got a virus ,dont want to format it yet.

xp pro
amd 2200
512 ram
60gig hd
mcafee antivirus

the problem is that after it boots up he cant access the hard drive it just comes up with the torch looking for the drive for ages
tried running mcafee, it opens ok but when i click on scan for viruses it seems to freeze but the mouse moves ok.
he has also done a scan via the internet (mcafee) which said that someone has attemted to access his computer and give the hackers name ady,email etc
but i think he said that keeps changing.

he also said there is an article in the local newspaper about hacking, will update with more info later.

have i to just format it or can i save it and is it a virus.

Haol 12:46 08 Jan 06

It may or may not be a virus, try booting in safe mode and scan for a viruses. Also what newspaper is this?

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:49 08 Jan 06

You will not get hacked on a home computer. 'he has also done a scan via the internet (mcafee) which said that someone has attemted to access his computer and give the hackers name ady,email etc'....this is utter rubbish and scare tactics to make you buy uneeded programmes.

use Regscrubxp from click here and see if that sorts out the registry. You could also muse MS Antispy as well ...click here

Failing the above use system restore to revert back to before the problem.

G

rawprawn 12:49 08 Jan 06

Try Safe Mode and system Restore

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:50 08 Jan 06

...and the newspaper is talking nonsense and engendering paranoia...of which there is faaaar too much.

G

rawprawn 12:50 08 Jan 06

Should have said also try "Last known good configuration"

spuds 12:56 08 Jan 06

A couple of other downloads that you could try a2 click here Ewido click here (free trial) and see if they find anything.

€dstowe 13:59 08 Jan 06

- - - a backup would have prevented all of this.

shauny36 19:24 08 Jan 06

have done a system restore and it seems to have done the trick. thanks.
the hackers thing was in the sun newspaper and read as follows.

MICROSOFT HAS RUSHED OUT A FIX FOR A BUG THAT ALLOWED HACKERS TO BY-PASS COMPUTERS SECURITY AND TAKE OVER THEM.
THE PATCH CLOSES THE LOOP-HOLE IN THE WAY VARIOUS VERSIONS OF WINDOWS HANDLES HANDLES CERTAIN IMAGE TYPES.
THE GLITCH COULD BE USED TO GATHER CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION. MICROSOFT RELEASED THE PATCH EARLY BECAUSE HUGE NUMBERS OF HACKERS WERE EXPLOITING THE FLAW,THREATENING MILLIONS OF PC USERS.

stalion 19:27 08 Jan 06

your last post info from the newspaper has already been rectified by an update from microsoft

rawprawn 19:31 08 Jan 06

Tick?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…